Can Light Replace Electricity in Modern Technology?

In summary: There have been some recent developments in quantum dots which are a bit more efficient but they are still very inefficient.
seb7
Years ago, it was talked about how light could be used instead of electricity. How far have we come with this idea? Do we have today any kind of transistor/diode/capacitor version that uses light instead?

I was also wondering if there’s such a device that looks like a solar panel, but is actually a bunch of tiny light reflectors which narrows the light received on the surface to be tunnelled into one small fibre. Example of use could be light up the inside of large complex buildings with needing large windows. Is this possible? has it already been done?

Engineering news on Phys.org
seb7 said:
Years ago, it was talked about how light could be used instead of electricity. How far have we come with this idea? Do we have today any kind of transistor/diode/capacitor version that uses light instead?

Fiber optics can be used to transmit power where electrical cables have certain disadvantages (called Power Over Fiber) although it is less efficient, but I'm not aware of the possibility of "optical circuits," or anything like an optical capacitor or transistor.

seb7 said:
I was also wondering if there’s such a device that looks like a solar panel, but is actually a bunch of tiny light reflectors which narrows the light received on the surface to be tunnelled into one small fibre. Example of use could be light up the inside of large complex buildings with needing large windows. Is this possible? has it already been done?

Now this has actually been done, although it's hard to say if it's as economical as electrical solutions. I read about a system like this a few years ago in Popular Mechanics, the system utilized a tracking parabolic reflector on the roof and plastic fiber optics to transmit light into the building for lighting. The system was paired with a fluorescent light source to use the same fiber optics for lighting at night.

I found this through a Google search: http://www.sunlight-direct.com/lighting.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Phosphors are essentially optical capacitors. They behave very similarly as capacitors do in electrical circuits except their efficiency is very low compared to electrical capacitors. There is also the issue of Stoke's shift. Optical diodes are essentially one way or reflective films that you might find on a beam splitter or interferometer. I believe there are some fluorescent materials that can be used as optical transistors, but right now I can't remember specifically what they are called. As far as I know there is no optical equivalent to an inductor.

I don't think light will ever replace electrons as a means for power or computing. Light has big problems with attenuation and almost everything about it is inefficient. Sending power over an optical fiber for example has very high losses. All optical fibers have some sort of attenuation which decreases the light signal and heats up the fiber. Most high power fibers are extremely expensive due to being very pure silica and are typically never rated past a few watts. If a large amount of power is being transmitted through the fiber and there is a large impurity (couple nanometers), the fiber will literally melt and burn up.

1. What are light fibres and components?

Light fibres and components are materials and structures that are used to guide and manipulate light. They are made of specialized materials, such as glass or plastic, and are designed to transmit light from one point to another with minimal loss or distortion.

2. What are the applications of light fibres and components?

Light fibres and components have a wide range of applications, including telecommunications, medical imaging, and industrial sensing. They are also used in scientific research, such as in spectroscopy and microscopy, as well as in everyday devices like optical mice and fiber optic internet connections.

3. How do light fibres and components work?

Light fibres and components work by utilizing the principles of total internal reflection. When light enters a material with a higher refractive index than the surrounding medium, it is reflected back into the material. This allows light to travel through the material without significant loss or dispersion.

4. What are the benefits of using light fibres and components?

The use of light fibres and components offers several benefits, including high bandwidth and data transmission rates, low signal loss over long distances, and immunity to electromagnetic interference. They are also lightweight, flexible, and can be made into small and compact devices.

5. What are the different types of light fibres and components?

There are several types of light fibres and components, including single-mode and multi-mode fibres, optical amplifiers, couplers and splitters, and optical switches. Each type has its own unique properties and is used for different applications. For example, single-mode fibres are used for long-distance telecommunications, while multi-mode fibres are used for short-distance data transmission.