Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Frequencies

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1
    I'm very curious about the properties of light I was hoping someone could enlighten me.

Do all forms of light move at "Light Speed" or relatively the same.

I was told that there are many "element combinations" could be made to "illuminate light" but not all forms of light share the same properties as solar rays witch contain photons, witch is what we measure to determine the speed of light.

Would light admitted from combustion, fireflies, cuttlefish, and neon, move as fast as light from solar rays?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

All light can be described via photons - you don't have to use this description, however.

In vacuum, light always moves at the speed of light, independent of the source.
    In matter, things can be more complicated.
    All the same thing.

4. Feb 9, 2016 #3
    Do all forms of light (regardless of the source) travel at c(Light Speed)

EXAMPLE: Light emitted from a campfire or light emitted from fireflies

5. Feb 9, 2016 #4
    Yes, all light emitted from a campfire or from fireflies would have the same speed. However, the light itself may not have the same amount of energy, depending on the source. Hence, there is a difference in frequency (color) and/or brightness (intensity) of the light emitted from the sun versus the light emitted from a firefly.

6. Feb 10, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is exactly what I said in my previous post (together with some additional information).

7. Feb 10, 2016 #6
    Not only light, as in visible light, but EVERY form of electromagnetism.
    This includes radio, microwaves, infra red and ultra violet light, X-rays, and gamma rays as well as visible light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook