Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light frequency to energy

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    if light varies in colour depending on wether it is traveling toward or away from you (red or blue) then that would imply that there must be on area where light actualy stands still!!! is purple the colour of time???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

On the off chance that you're not joking, realize that it's the source that's traveling toward or away from you. (Obviously the light is traveling toward you, else you wouldn't see it.)

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    no.... i'm just thick!!!!

5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Me too!

In that case I'll mention that the red and blue Doppler shifts refer to the direction of the shift in wavelength, not necessarily the actual color of the observed light. For example, a red shift means that the light appears "redder" (longer wavelength--toward the red end of the visible spectrum, compared to the middle), not necessarily red (or even in the visible portion of the spectrum).

6. Sep 13, 2008 #5
    I love you....

7. Sep 13, 2008 #6
    it all began on a july morning 02.15 to be precise when myself my wife and a mate of ours witnessed what can only be described as a "UFO experience" a silent boomerang shaped craft with the only visible energy source appeared to omit from either side of a Y shaped array of red and blue neon lights. sometime later i wathched a documentary about mega lightning and discovered that lightning not only changes from a chaotic state into what appears to be a double helix but also takes on the colours of red and blue neon once released from the earths drag factors!!!! and i dont mean ladies clothing!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?