1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light: Fringes and Interference

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    Coherent light with wavelength 597 nm passes through two very narrow slits, and the interference pattern is observed on a screen a distance of 3.00 m from the slits. The first-order bright fringe is a distance of 4.84 mm from the center of the central bright fringe.

For what wavelength of light in micrometers will the first-order dark fringe be observed at this same point on the screen?

To solve this, I must use the formula for destructive interference:
    d*sin(theta) = (m + 1/2)*lambda, where m= 0 or -1 since it is the first dark fringe,

but I am stuck on using small-angle approximations where sin(theta) = tan(theta) to find d.

Could someone please explain this method to me clearly?

After finding d, what formula must I use for the 2nd beam's interference pattern to find the 2nd wavelength?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Bright fringes are found where [itex]d \sin\theta = m\lambda[/itex]; dark fringes where [itex]d \sin\theta = (m + 1/2)\lambda[/itex]. m = 0, 1, 2, etc.

The position (y) of the fringes is given by [itex]\tan\theta = y/L[/itex]. For small angles [itex]\tan\theta = \sin\theta = \theta[/itex]. So the bright fringes are found at [itex]y = m\lambda L /d[/itex]; the dark fringes at [itex]y = (m + 1/2)\lambda L /d[/itex].

Note that d, L, and y stay the same for the two wavelengths. Hint: Solve for the new wavelength symbolically before plugging in any numbers.

4. Apr 23, 2005 #3
    What value is y in the problem? 4.84 mm?

5. Apr 23, 2005 #4

Doc Al

That's correct. Note that the same value of y is used for both wavelengths:
    For the first, y = 4.84mm is the postion of the first bright fringe
    For the second, y = 4.84mm is the postion of the first dark fringe​

Hint: You don't really need to plug in that y value! What you need to do is find the second wavelength in terms of the first.

6. Apr 23, 2005 #5
    How do I do this? Do I use the formula for bright fringes for the second beam as a starting point?

7. Apr 24, 2005 #6

Doc Al

Here's what I suggest: Call the first wavelength [itex]\lambda_1[/itex] and the second [itex]\lambda_2[/itex]. Now write the appropriate equation for each and compare. I'll write the equation for the first wavelength. Since it gives the location of the first bright fringe, I'll set m = 1:
    [itex]y = \lambda_1 L /d[/itex]
    Rearranging that gives you: [itex]\lambda_1 = yd/L[/itex]

Now you write the equation that applies to the second wavelength and compare.

8. Apr 24, 2005 #7
    Well, for the second, is it this?

y = [(m + 1/2)*lambda_2*L]/[d], where m = 0

lambda_2 = (2*y*d)/L

9. Apr 24, 2005 #8

Doc Al

Exactly. So... how does [itex]\lambda_2[/itex] compare to [itex]\lambda_1[/itex]?

10. Apr 24, 2005 #9
    It's twice the value of lambda_1.

11. Apr 24, 2005 #10

Doc Al

Correct. Now express the answer in micrometers and you're done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?