Exploring the Possibility of Light "Hook" or Tether for Faster Than Light Travel

• Thread starter jaspatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, a solar sail would not be a viable means of propulsion to exceed light speed, but it is an option for spacecraft .There is no theoretical way to harness light to propel an object, even on a microscopic level.
jaspatrick
Light "hook" or tether..?

Hello! Simply a fan and not a scientist; so forgive if this has been asked or is simplistic--onward he queries!
I've read about the warp bubble and some ideas for faster than light travel (fascinating stuff, obviously); but my question is regarding the possibility of some sort of tether or hook in which to have light pull/push "us" along?
Obviously a laser probe or other light based probe would already travel that quickly; but what about a microscopic probe/nanobot or an unmanned satellite, etc. Is there some theoretical way in which to piggyback or lasso light/lasers?
Maybe some sort of sail or hood to be used as... well a sail?
Am I making sense or did a brain cell expire more colorfully than usual?
Thanks in advance and apologies again if this is more of a hollywood blockbuster idea.
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not a scientist either, but no matter what "technique" you employ, no object containing mass can be accelerated to c (light velocity), much less exceed it.

LBrandt said:
I'm not a scientist either, but no matter what "technique" you employ, no object containing mass can be accelerated to c (light velocity), much less exceed it.

There seem to be some ideas out there that while this may be true now; it may not always be so... Not exactly what I asked either; but hey, no worries! Original question stands--I am curious about the tether, pulling/pushing method specifically. Are there any ideas along those lines or would it be scientifically proven impossible? Is there any theoretical plausibility to harnessing light to push/pull along with it--even on a tiny scale?
Thanks in advance!

Yes, but a solar sail does not purport to be able to accelerate a mass to light velocity.

Yes, I had actually read a bit about solar sails; I kind of piggy backed off that idea and was curious about how fast it could pull or push one along and would this type of idea or similar idea get us close to light speed travel? If it is the light itself's speed, would that side step the need to "accelerate" said object? Specifically, I am thinking very very small--nanobot of some sort, etc. (To be used as a deep space probe)

Oh, my apologies, thank you for the welcome and I am very glad to be here! It is very reassuring to see so many folks taking advantage and spreading such valuable information. Cheers to all involved!

1. How does a "light hook" or tether work for faster than light travel?

A "light hook" or tether is a hypothetical device that would use the force of light to propel a spacecraft faster than the speed of light. This concept is based on the theory of relativity, which suggests that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel. The idea is that by using the force of light, a vehicle could potentially surpass this speed limit.

2. Is faster than light travel actually possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports the possibility of faster than light travel. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. While the concept of a light hook or tether is purely theoretical, it is currently not possible to achieve faster than light travel.

3. What are the potential risks and challenges of using a "light hook" or tether for faster than light travel?

One major challenge is the immense amount of energy that would be required to propel a spacecraft at the speed of light, let alone faster. Additionally, the intense forces involved in such a journey could potentially be harmful to any passengers on board. There are also ethical considerations to take into account, as the effects of surpassing the speed of light on the surrounding environment are unknown.

4. Are there any ongoing research or experiments being conducted on the concept of a "light hook" or tether?

Currently, there are no official research projects or experiments specifically focused on the concept of a "light hook" or tether. However, some scientists are exploring alternative theories and concepts that could potentially lead to breakthroughs in faster than light travel.

5. How would faster than light travel impact our understanding of the universe?

If faster than light travel were to become a reality, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It could potentially open up new possibilities for space exploration and discovery, but it would also require a rethinking of many fundamental concepts in science. Only time and further research will tell the true impact of faster than light travel on our understanding of the universe.