Converting Between Light Intensity and Irradiance: How Do They Relate?

In summary, irradiance and intensity are related in that they both measure power per unit area, but intensity is often used loosely and can be the same as irradiance. The unit for irradiance is W/m^2 and for intensity it is W/sr. The conversion between the two depends on the bandwidth of the light source.
El Flea
What is the relationship between light intensity and irradiance? How do I convert one to the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking irradiance is power/area and intensity is power/solid angle.
Typically irradiance is at the target and intensity is from the source.
But intensity is often used when you should use irradiance - so often they are the same thing,

Thanks!
Isn't W(m^-2) the unit for light intensity?
So, if I have, let's say, 1W(m^-2)(nm^-1) spectral irradiance, in the 400nm wavelength range, can I say that I have 1x(10^-9)W(m^-2) light intensity over the same area?

El Flea said:
Isn't W(m^-2) the unit for light intensity?
Nope that the unit of irradiance. As I said - intensity is often losely used when you should say irradiance.

So, if I have, let's say, 1W(m^-2)(nm^-1) spectral irradiance, in the 400nm wavelength range, can I say that I have 1x(10^-9)W(m^-2) light intensity over the same area?
It depends on the bandwidth, if you have 1W(m^-2)(nm^-1) then you would have 100W/m^2 over a 100nm bandwidth

1. What is the difference between light intensity and irradiance?

Light intensity refers to the amount of light particles (photons) in a given area, while irradiance is the amount of light energy that falls on a surface per unit area.

2. How are light intensity and irradiance measured?

Light intensity is typically measured in units of lux or lumens per square meter, using a light meter. Irradiance is measured in watts per square meter, using a radiometer or spectrometer.

3. How does light intensity affect plant growth?

Light intensity is a crucial factor in plant growth as it determines the rate of photosynthesis. Higher light intensity can lead to faster growth and higher yields, but too much light can also damage plants.

4. Can light intensity and irradiance be controlled?

Yes, both light intensity and irradiance can be controlled by adjusting the distance between the light source and the surface, as well as using light filters or dimmers. Advanced techniques such as artificial lighting and shading can also be used to manipulate light intensity and irradiance.

5. Is there an optimal light intensity or irradiance for all plants?

No, the optimal light intensity and irradiance for plant growth can vary depending on the type of plant, its stage of growth, and environmental conditions. It is important to research and understand the light needs of specific plants in order to achieve optimal growth.