Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light intensity

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    I'm doing a report for biology about the relation betweem light intensity and photosynthetic rate. My results showed that as light intensity decreases, so does oxygen production.

I said in my discussion that light rays that must travel longer distances will lose energy and appear dimmer than rays that travel shorter distances.

Is this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I'm afraid not.

Light rays don't lose energy with distance. The apparent intensity of a light source does decrease with distance, but that's because the light is spreading out to cover a larger area.
  4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    So a more appropriate conclusion would be that the rays are more concentrated when they are closer to the plant?
  5. Sep 27, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you describe the experiment a little more. What type of light source did you use? What did you actually change ... the power of the light source, or the location of the light source?

Typically, light rays are more concentrated closer to the source of the light. Move the plant away from the source, and the light becomes less concentrated (i.e. dimmer) at the plant.

This assumes you're not using lenses to focus the light, or a laser where the light intensity is fairly constant over a large distance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?