Light Interference: Slit Separation & Maxima Observation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the separation of slits and the number of interference maxima that can be observed when a helium-neon laser is shone on a plane with two slits. The calculation for part a is done using the small angle formula and the result is found to be 10.4 micrometers. For part b, there is a discussion on whether there would be infinite maxima points assuming the screen is infinite and the wavelength is fixed at 633 nm. Another approach is suggested, which involves finding an equation relating the angle \theta to the integer number of maxima.
matpo39
im a little stuck on part b of this question.

Light of wavelength 633 nm from a helium-neon laser is shone normally on a plane containing two slits. The first interference maximum is 85 cm from the central maximum on a projection screen 14 m away.

(a) Find the separation of the slits.

(b) How many interference maxima (including the central maximum) can be observed, assuming your projection screen can be as large as you want?

i was able to get part a by using the small angle formula y=(R*m*x)/d
where y= the maxima seperation, R=the distance to the screen, x=the wave length, d=the slit separation and in the case for part a m=1
i found d to be 10.4 micro meters which turned out right. now for part b) my initial reaction was that since the screen is infinit and that m=+-1,+-2... and since the wave length is fixed at 633 nm that there would be infinite maxima points.

can anyone verify this for me since i am unsure if this is correct.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if that's correct - it could be. The way I would go about solving part b would be to find an equation relating the angle [tex]\theta[/tex] (as viewed from the slit's perspective, [tex]\theta[/tex] would be the angle between the middle maxima and any given "mth" maxima) to the integer number m of the maxima you are looking at. You could then plug in [tex]\theta=90[/tex] and solve for the mth maxima.

Your initial reaction is correct. Since the projection screen can be as large as you want and the wavelength is fixed, there will be an infinite number of interference maxima observed. This is because as the screen size increases, the number of maxima will also increase as the distance between them becomes smaller. Additionally, the formula for calculating the number of maxima is n = (d/λ) * m, where n is the number of maxima, d is the slit separation, λ is the wavelength, and m is the order of the maxima (1, 2, 3...). Since the screen size is infinite, the number of maxima will also be infinite. Therefore, your answer for part b is correct.

What is light interference?

Light interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves interact with each other. This results in changes to the overall intensity and direction of the light waves.

How is light interference related to slit separation and maxima observation?

Slit separation and maxima observation are two key aspects of light interference. Slit separation refers to the distance between two slits through which light passes, while maxima observation is the measurement of the bright and dark bands that result from the interference of the light waves passing through the slits.

What is the purpose of studying light interference with slit separation and maxima observation?

Studying light interference with slit separation and maxima observation allows scientists to understand the behavior of light waves and how they interact with each other. This knowledge is important in fields such as optics, astronomy, and telecommunications.

What factors can affect the interference pattern in light interference experiments?

The interference pattern in light interference experiments can be affected by various factors, such as the wavelength of the light waves, the distance between the slits, and the angle at which the light waves pass through the slits.

How is light interference with slit separation and maxima observation used in practical applications?

Light interference with slit separation and maxima observation has many practical applications, including in the development of optical instruments, the study of celestial bodies, and the design of telecommunications systems.