1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light mass?

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    Wikipedia says that photons have momentum. How can that be possible since p=mv?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2

The Poynting vector,S, gives momentum of light, and is given by:

S = E X B........E= electric field
    B= magnetic field
    X is cross product

However, this is the classical answer....and maybe this answer should be in classical section.:smile:

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  4. May 26, 2007 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to relativity, the spatial momentum of a "particle" that has rest mass [itex]m[/itex] is

[tex]p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}.[/tex]

To consider a photon, let [itex]m \rightarrow 0[/itex] and [itex]v \rightarrow c.[/itex] This gives zero over zero, which is indeterminant, and can be anything (including non-zero values), depending on how the limits are taken.

Also, relaltivity says that for any particle,

[tex]E^2 - (cp)^2 = \left(mc^2\right)^2.[/tex]

Even if [itex]m=0[/itex], [itex]p[/itex] is non-zero when [itex]E[/itex] is non-zero. In fact,

[tex]E = cp[/tex]

for a photon.

5. May 26, 2007 #4
    i wish that i was in a higher physics class so that i could understand you.

6. May 26, 2007 #5
    The inertial mass M (aka relativistic mass) of a photon is defined just like the mass of all particles, as M/i] = p/v = p/c where p is the magnitude of the momentom and v is the particle's speed. I believe that you're thinking about a photon's proper mass m, which is zero for all photons.

The definition of the mass of a particle allows the following relation to be derived (let m = proper mass)

p = sqrt[1-(v/c)sup2]/c

This can be solved for m which in turn will be a function of the energy and momentum and when E = pc me will always turn out to be 0.

Pete

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?