Light Matter

• Thread starter p-brane
  • Start date
Does the attribute of having a spin (+ or -) automatically make something a particle?

Do photons have a spin?

I assume you are referring to spin in terms of rotational symmetry and not the rotational interaction of energy that I'm proposing.

If you're asking do all complex particles that consist of energies interacting, rotate ? The answer would be yes, but with the caveat that if the particle is unstable and does not complete one revolution, that this is seen as rotation, even if only partial.

Electron - Positron Annihilation

Both the electron and the positron have a mass of 9 x 10^-31 kg and their energy = 0.51 MeV
Both have spin = 1/2

When the two particles collide, the result is two massless photons each with a energy of 0.51 MeV.

The mass of both particles along with their positive or negative charge has gone. Instantly decayed to nothing. All that is left is energy.

Janitor
Science Advisor
AWolf,

Kindly calculate the half life of positronium in its ground state. Let me know the answer you get, and I will check to see how well it matches experimental data.

Janitor said:
Kindly calculate the half life of positronium in its ground state. Let me know the answer you get, and I will check to see how well it matches experimental data.

So I take it that the concept of a positron being the complete inverse of an electron does not create any problems for you.

Janitor
Science Advisor
There is a certain sense in which an antiparticle can in fact be treated as a particle going backward in time. Are you familiar with Feynman diagrams? But when quantum physicists do this, I don't believe they picture the elementary particle having some interior parts revolving one another such that the time reversal operation reverses directions of some hypothetical constituent parts.

For your theory to be taken seriously by mainstream physicists, it needs to be at least as good as mainstream theories in predicting phenomena. Since mainstream physics can calculate positronium half life and get a result that matches experiment quite well, you have a tough row to hoe.

p-brane
AWolf said:
Electron - Positron Annihilation

Both the electron and the positron have a mass of 9 x 10^-31 kg and their energy = 0.51 MeV
Both have spin = 1/2

When the two particles collide, the result is two massless photons each with a energy of 0.51 MeV.

The mass of both particles along with their positive or negative charge has gone. Instantly decayed to nothing. All that is left is energy.

"All that is left is energy".

I imagine that's all there was in the first place. So that, nothing is lost and nothing is gained. Is this true? Is it simply that the energy is transformed and redistributed? "Neither created nor destroyed".

p-brane said:
"All that is left is energy".

I imagine that's all there was in the first place. So that, nothing is lost and nothing is gained. Is this true? Is it simply that the energy is transformed and redistributed? "Neither created nor destroyed".
Conservation of energy states, as you put it, Neither created nor destroyed. So the only option available is to manipulate it. Transform it from one thing into another.

The electron and the positron have the same energy, but their other properties provide each particle with its own identity. After the collision, the two particles that result have different identities from the electron and positron. For one, they have no mass and no charge.

According to the conservation of energy, the energy before the collision must equal the energy after. So if we've accounted for all the energy, what happened to the mass and charge of the electron or positron ?

The configuration of the energy of the electron and that of the positron, must have cancelled out the other, leaving plain energy behind, with no complex configuration.