1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light/mirror questions.

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. A student wishes to place an object in front of a concave mirror in order to produce an image one-half the object's size. If the focal length of the mirror is 5.0cm, how far from the mirror should the object be placed? ANS : 15 cm.

2.An object is placed 2.0cm beyond the centre of curvatur of a concave mirror. If the magnification of this object is 0.30 what is the radius of curvature of this mirror. ANS: 1.7cm

2. Relevant equations

1/f = 1/do + 1/di
    m = hi/ho = -di/do

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I believe these are questions where you have to combine two formulas, i dont know how to go about it, im not asking for full work, if oyu decide to show full steps, im trying to figure it out and i cant seem to do it, can someone start me off on the right track? Or if im overthinking it put me on the right track.

1) 1/2ho/ho= f-do/do
    1/2do=-f-do
    2do=-2f
    which would be -5, which isnt right.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean with equation (1)? ho/ho=1 and do/do=1, so eq(1) is equivalent to 1/2=f-1 which is obviously wrong.

ehild

4. Nov 22, 2012 #3
    well hi is half of ho which makes it 1/2ho, so i replaced hi with 1/2ho
    and i replaced di with f-do from

f=do+di

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, 1/f = 1/do+1/di. That's quite different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook