Light Interference: Lasers & Electrons

In summary, using two lasers to cancel out their waves is not a reliable method due to slight differences in geometry and the fact that energy cannot disappear. This same effect can also occur with electron waves, as seen in electron diffraction experiments.
cragar
if i have a laser beam getting bent by gravity , then i shoot another laser right on top of the other laser , like a fork in the road , and the lasers are perfectly out of phase , will their waves cancel each other out and i will see no light , And could this same thing happen with electron waves .

Science news on Phys.org
Using two lasers would not ensure perfect phase synchronism of the two beams. If you split an existing laser beam and send one part down a different path (near a black hole or just through a thin piece of glass) from the other then you can get cancellation in some regions (interferometry works this way)
But you can't take your scenario to the limit that you want. At some point and in some region you can get a null but the beams will have slightly different geometries (even if it's just the fact that they spread out eventually) and there will be regions where the cancellation doesn't take place. That's where your energy will show up. It can't 'go nowhere'.

And electron beams can exhibit refraction and interference effects, too, when fired, for instance, through a very thin sheet of Carbon. 'A level' School demo apparatus available from all good equipment suppliers!

thanks for your response , i have done some electron diffraction in my physics lab.

What is light interference?

Light interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves meet and interact with each other. This interaction can result in constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a brighter light, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create darkness.

What is the role of lasers in light interference?

Lasers play a crucial role in light interference because they produce coherent and monochromatic light, which means the light waves have the same frequency and are in phase with each other. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the light waves, making it easier to create and observe interference patterns.

How do electrons contribute to light interference?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that are found in atoms and molecules. When electrons interact with light waves, they can cause the light to scatter and create interference patterns. This is known as electron scattering and is used in various techniques, such as electron microscopy, to study the properties of materials.

What are some applications of light interference?

Light interference has a wide range of practical applications, including in holography, interferometry, and optical coatings. It is also used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy, biology, and chemistry, to study the properties of light and matter.

How is light interference related to the wave-particle duality of light?

The wave-particle duality of light is a fundamental concept in physics that states that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. Light interference is a result of the wave nature of light, as it involves the superposition of light waves. However, it can also be explained using the particle nature of light, as each photon carries energy and momentum that can interact with other photons.