Polarizing Elliptically Rotated Light: Calculating Intensity Ratios

In summary: It is, but remember that both Rr and Eq depend of time, and their phase difference is 90 degrees. So E_r = E_o cos(ωt), and E_q = E_o sin(ωt), as I said before. So E_r = E_o cos(ωt), and E_q = E_o sin(ωt), as I said before.
skrat

Homework Statement

Elliptically polarized light, where the rotation of the ellipse is ##\pi/6## and its major axis is ##2E_0## and minor axis ##E_0##, is left through a polarization foil. The foil transmits light in ##x## axis (a) and in ##y## axis (b). Calculate the ratio of transmitted light (intensity) in both cases (a) and (b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, If my ellipse is rotated by an angle ##\pi/6## than in my original coordinate system:
##E_x={E_x}'\cos \varphi +{E_y}'\sin\varphi## and
##E_Y=-{E_x}'\sin\varphi +{E_y}'\cos \varphi##.

Knowing that ##{E_x}'=2E_0## and ##{E_y}'=E_0## the amplitudes above can be written as: $$E_X=E_0(\sqrt 3+1/2)$$ and $$E_y=E_0(\sqrt{3}/2-1)$$.

The intensity before the polarization foil is ##(2E_0)^2+E_0^2=5E_0^2##. Than the ratio is

(a) ##\frac{|E_x|^2}{5E_0^2}=0.9964## and
(b) ##\frac{|E_y|^2}{5E_0^2}=0.00358##.

Or is this completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Elliptically polarized light, where the rotation of the ellipse is ##\pi/6## and its major axis is ##2E_0## and minor axis ##E_0##, is left through a polarization foil. The foil transmits light in ##x## axis (a) and in ##y## axis (b). Calculate the ratio of transmitted light (intensity) in both cases (a) and (b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, If my ellipse is rotated by an angle ##\pi/6## than in my original coordinate system:
##E_x={E_x}'\cos \varphi +{E_y}'\sin\varphi## and
##E_Y=-{E_x}'\sin\varphi +{E_y}'\cos \varphi##.

Knowing that ##{E_x}'=2E_0## and ##{E_y}'=E_0## the amplitudes above can be written as: $$E_X=E_0(\sqrt 3+1/2)$$ and $$E_y=E_0(\sqrt{3}/2-1)$$.

The intensity before the polarization foil is ##(2E_0)^2+E_0^2=5E_0^2##. Than the ratio is

(a) ##\frac{|E_x|^2}{5E_0^2}=0.9964## and
(b) ##\frac{|E_y|^2}{5E_0^2}=0.00358##.

Or is this completely wrong?
It is not completely wrong.

I think "rotation of the ellipse" means the angle its mayor axis makes with the positive x axis. In that case, your Ex and Ey are not correct, but otherwise, your method is right.

Hmmm, should it be:

##E_x={E_x}'cos\varphi +{E_y}'sin\varphi ## and ##E_y={E_y}'cos\varphi + {E_y}'sin\varphi ## ?

skrat said:
Hmmm, should it be:

##E_x={E_x}'cos\varphi +{E_y}'sin\varphi ## and ##E_y={E_y}'cos\varphi + {E_y}'sin\varphi ## ?

No. The x components of the electric vectors parallel and perpendicular of the main axis of the ellipse add, and so is with the y components. Make a drawing, and you will see.

ehild said:
No. The x components of the electric vectors parallel and perpendicular of the main axis of the ellipse add, and so is with the y components. Make a drawing, and you will see.

Figure9.gif

I am staring at this picture but I can't figure out what's the problem.

The elliptically polarized light has components along the mayor and minor axis of the ellipse, they are Er and Eq, respectively. Eq and Er are 90 degrees out of phase in case of elliptically polarized light, so Er=2Eo cos(ωt), Eq=Eo sin(ωt).
The x component of Er and the x component of Eq add up to give EX, the component of the field along the X direction of the polariser. That component will be fully transmitted in case a), and the intensity is the time average of EX. In the same way, the Y components of Er and Eq add up to give EY, the Y component of the electric field, which will be fully transmitted in case b).

ellipticallypolarized.JPG

Last edited:
Likes skrat
Huh,

I think I understand now.

So ##E_x=E_r\cos\theta -E_q\sin\theta## and ##E_y=E_r\sin\theta +E_q\cos\theta##. Is this ok?

skrat said:
Huh,

I think I understand now.

So ##E_x=E_r\cos\theta -E_q\sin\theta## and ##E_y=E_r\sin\theta +E_q\cos\theta##. Is this ok?
It is, but remember that both Rr and Eq depend of time, and their phase difference is 90 degrees.

1. How does polarizing elliptically rotated light differ from linearly polarized light?

Polarizing elliptically rotated light is a type of light that has both linear and circular polarization components, while linearly polarized light only has a single linear polarization component. This means that polarizing elliptically rotated light has a more complex polarization state.

2. What is the significance of calculating intensity ratios in polarizing elliptically rotated light?

Calculating intensity ratios allows scientists to determine the relative strengths of the linear and circular polarization components in polarizing elliptically rotated light. This information can provide insights into the properties of the light source and the materials it interacts with.

3. How is the intensity ratio calculated?

The intensity ratio is calculated by dividing the intensity of the circular polarization component by the intensity of the linear polarization component. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a polarimeter or by analyzing the polarization state of the light using mathematical equations.

4. Can polarizing elliptically rotated light be used in practical applications?

Yes, polarizing elliptically rotated light has various applications in fields such as material science, chemistry, and optics. It can be used to study the molecular structure of materials, analyze the polarization properties of light sources, and even in medical imaging techniques.

5. What factors can affect the intensity ratio in polarizing elliptically rotated light?

The intensity ratio can be affected by factors such as the angle of rotation of the light, the wavelength of the light, and the properties of the materials through which the light passes. External factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact the intensity ratio.