Figuring Out the Refraction Angle of Light Through a Glasprisma

In summary, the angle of incidence on the bottom surface of the prism is greater than the critical angle for total internal reflection, so the light will reflect and exit the bottom surface.
Kahsi
Hi!

I'm trying to figure out what angel the light-wave will leave the glasprisma (it enters the glasprisma from the air).

http://home.tiscali.se/21355861/bilder/prisma1.JPG

So I need to use Snell's law

[tex]n_{1}sin\theta_1 = n_{2}sin\theta_2[/tex]

n for the glasprisma equals 1.6

So when it enters the prisma me should get

[tex]\theta_2 = sin^{-1}{\left(\frac{1*sin0}{1.6}\right)} = 0[/tex]

So when it enters the glasprisma the angle still is 0. When it's leaving the prisma we get this.

http://home.tiscali.se/21355861/bilder/prisma2.JPG

Where v = 90 - 35 = 55degres.

So

[tex]\theta_2 = sin^{-1}{\left(\frac{1.6*sin-55}{1}\right)} = Error![/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
total internal reflection

It just means that the angle of incidence on that surface exceeds the critical angle for total internal reflection. The light will reflect from that surface and exit from the bottom surface.

So in this case it's total reflection? Then I've misscalculated.

Kahsi said:
So in this case it's total reflection? Then I've misscalculated.
What makes you think you've miscalculated? You still can calculate the angle that the light leaves the prism.

The change of the direction should be 57degrees. If it leaves the prism from the bottom surface the change of direction is probably more then 100degrees. Or maybe I've missunderstod you.

Maybe it should be something like this.

http://home.tiscali.se/21355861/bilder/prisma3.JPG

Kahsi said:
The change of the direction should be 57degrees. If it leaves the prism from the bottom surface the change of direction is probably more then 100degrees.
Don't guess, calculate.

Maybe it should be something like this.

http://home.tiscali.se/21355861/bilder/prisma3.JPG
Exactly.

Thank you Doc Al. I'll calculate until I get the correct answer. :)

Kashi,
Have you tried using; n= [sin( (A+D)/2)] / sin(A/2) where A is the angle of the prism and D the maximum angle of deviation. when you calculate the max angle of deviation you can use; 2i=A+D where i is the angle of incidence on the prism.

hope this helps

Hi zanazzi78.

Sorry but you lost me there. Do you think you cold point out int the picture where A, D and i is? It would be really helpfull if you could attach the picture :smile:

I`m new to this forum thing ! how do i post pictures?

Look at the attachment.

http://home.tiscali.se/21355861/bilder/picture.PNG

Oops here you go

zanazzi78 it looks like it doesn't work. I got the same problem but I thought it only wasn't working from me. You can upload the picture here
http://213.214.228.251/upp/upload_css.php

Choose "Bilder".

I can't get the pic small enough to post!

The angle A is the interal angle between the sides of the prism.

The angle D is the change in angle, between, where the ray would have gone(if not refracted), and the actulla path that the ray leaves the prism!

The angle i is the angle the ray makes with the prim.

Uploaded!

Sorry for the delay My pc crashed (Damn technology!)

Thank you zanazzi78. Now I understand :)

Kahsi said:
Thank you Doc Al. I'll calculate until I get the correct answer. :)
That's the right attitude. But you're almost done. Figure out (from geometry) the angle of incidence that the light makes with the bottom surface, then apply Snell's law one last time.

1. How does refraction of light occur through a glass prism?

Refraction of light through a glass prism occurs when light travels from one medium to another, in this case from air to glass. As light enters the glass prism, it slows down and bends towards the normal. When it exits the prism, it speeds up and bends away from the normal, causing the light to deviate from its original path.

2. What is the angle of refraction and how is it calculated?

The angle of refraction is the angle between the refracted ray and the normal. It can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

3. How can the angle of refraction be measured experimentally?

The angle of refraction can be measured experimentally by using a protractor to measure the angle between the incident ray and the normal, and then using Snell's Law to calculate the angle of refraction. Alternatively, a device called a refractometer can be used to directly measure the angle of refraction.

4. Does the angle of refraction change with the wavelength of light?

Yes, the angle of refraction changes with the wavelength of light. This is because different wavelengths of light have different speeds in the same medium, causing them to refract at different angles. This phenomenon is known as dispersion, and it is what causes white light to split into its component colors when passing through a prism.

5. What factors can affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction can be affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the materials involved, and the wavelength of light. Additionally, the shape and thickness of the glass prism can also have an impact on the angle of refraction.