Understanding Wave Motion of Light: A Curious Question

In summary: This can be used for spectroscopy to identify materials and chemical bonds.In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of whether light behaves similarly to water waves when it hits a wall. It was determined that while light does reflect off of objects like a mirror, it does not traverse backwards in the same way that water waves do. Additionally, the conversation touched on the idea of whether the source of light is altered by the reflection, with the conclusion being that the reflection itself is affected by the material it interacts with, but not the source of the light. The concept of Raman scattering was also briefly mentioned as a way to
dankelly08
Ok so this may be an odd question but maybe there is someone here who can understand what I'm talking about.

When you have a wave of water and the water hits a wall, the waves will ripple back and causes the motion of the waves to traverse.

I was wondering if there is anything like this happens with light? When a torch is pointed at a wall because light acts like a wave does light not traverse backwards in any way at all?

Science news on Phys.org
It's called 'a mirror'.

Whan a water wave strikes a shoreline that is irregular on the scale of about the wavelength or larger, you don't get a coherent reflected wave. Similarly with light. The microscopic irregularities in an ordinary wall prevent a coherent reflected wave. A mirror is very smooth so in that case you do get a coherent reflected wave.

So really what I'm trying to find out is, if you bounce light off a mirror/wall and when the light beam hits the mirror, is there a change in the light beam at its initial state?

Does the beam (at its initial point) change depending on what type of matter it interacts with?

Does this make sense?

yes it gets reflected, if it does not get reflected then you will not be able to see it.

just as AJ Bentley said its a example of a mirror

dankelly08, do you mean to ask: Is the source of the light altered by the reflection of the beam?

(If that is, in fact your question...)I don't know of any reaction between the reflection of emitted photons and the emitter. Perhaps in the case of a reflection from a mirror or other highly reflective surface that is reflected directly back at its source (in your example the element inside the flashlight's bulb), the source might appear more luminous when observed directly.

The reflection of the light, and not its source ("initial point"), is affected by the type of matter it interacts with.

If I've made a mistake here, I'm sure some one will be kind enough to point it out for me :biggrin:

The frequency of light being reflected can change .
Raman scattering

1. What is wave motion of light?

Wave motion of light refers to the movement of light energy in the form of waves. Light waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that can travel through space and interact with matter.

2. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as a transverse wave, meaning that the oscillations are perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion. This allows light to travel through a vacuum without the need for a medium.

3. What are the properties of light waves?

Light waves have several properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and velocity. Wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in one second. Amplitude is the maximum height of a wave, and velocity is the speed at which the wave travels.

4. How does the wave motion of light affect its behavior?

The wave motion of light affects its behavior in several ways. For example, when light waves encounter a medium, such as air or water, they can be refracted, reflected, or diffracted. The wavelength of light also determines its color, with shorter wavelengths appearing as blue or violet light and longer wavelengths appearing as red or orange light.

5. What is the relationship between the wave motion of light and the electromagnetic spectrum?

The wave motion of light is just one part of the larger electromagnetic spectrum, which includes all types of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. The different types of electromagnetic radiation have varying wavelengths and frequencies, with visible light falling in the middle of the spectrum.