1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light (radiowaves) question help

1. Nov 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Radio waves (speed=c) from a two point source produce an interference pattern in space. Your house is located at a point where the path difference from the two radio sources is 1500 m. If the radio frequency is 500 kHz, show whether your house is on a node or an antinode. Answer =node, lousy reception

2. Relevant equations
    C=λf

3.The attempt at a solution
    I figured out the lamda by dividing C by f first and it came out to be 600m , but 1500m is not a COMPLETE divisible of 600m and results in N being = 2.5 which means that it should be an antinode however the answer says that its a node, am I doing something wrong? Please help. Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is node, and what is antinode? What should be the path difference to get a node/antinode?

ehild

4. Nov 18, 2012 #3
    A node is when there is a constructive interference and an antinode is when there is a destructive interference. Path difference should be an integer. Like 1λ or 2λ for nodes , and for antinodes should be 1.5λ or 2.5λ. Am I right?

5. Nov 19, 2012 #4
    Oh sorry, I was wrong all the time. Node is destructive interference and anti node is constructive :P .. haha :P sorry

6. Nov 19, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is right. :smile: 'In general, a node is a localised swelling (a "knot") or a point of intersection (a vertex)' /Wikipesia.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook