Light Ray Problem: Reflection & Refraction

• Thread starter 7bear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Ray
In summary, if a light ray go through a boundary of air and glass(i.e. angle of incidence is 90 degree), there is a refraction and reflection. If angle of incidence is 0 degree( the light ray is normal to a glass), there is no reflection. If the situation is same as (2), but the light ray go from air to water, there is a refraction and reflection.
7bear
1. If a light ray go through a boundary of air and glass(i.e. angle of incidence is 90 degree), Is there any refraction or reflection?
2. If angle of incidence is 0 degree( the light ray is normal to a glass), Is there any reflection?
3. Suppose the situation is same as (2), but the light ray go from air to water. Is there any refraction or reflection?

Science news on Phys.org
1. Light can either go through the air next to the glass, or the glass next to the air. There's no such thing as a boundary that can be traveled through. So I guess if you do it very accruately, the answer depends on where you enter the glass from air.
2. Yes. A very weak one. You don't see it, however, because it coincides with light beam that is traveling towards the glass block.
3. Whenever something is going normal to the surface, then it won't have any refraction. Refraction occurs only when the incident ray is at an angle to the surface. However, there will be a (weak, very weak) refracted ray.

1. Yes, there is refration and reflection. If you look at a piece of blass in front of you, you will see the stuff behind it and you will also see a faint mirror image of yourself. This is called partial reflection, and it has a LOT to to with quantum physics. It wanges anywhere from 4% to 16%. But this is a long stody.
2. Look at my answer to number 1.
3. Water, I am not shure of. I am not shure if the same phenomenon happens as in glass, but by experience, it seems to me that there is both.

1. Yes, there is still reflection. There is no refraction in the sense that the light ray does not bend, however it is still generally referred to as a refracted ray.

2. The Fresnel reflections from an air glass interface is about 4%. Antireflection coatings on the surface of the glass can reduce this to well below 0.01%.

3. Yes, anywhere where the refractive index changes abruptly, there will be significant reflection and refraction effects.

Claude.

What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection occurs when a light ray bounces off a surface, while refraction occurs when a light ray passes through a surface and changes direction.

What causes light rays to reflect?

Light rays reflect off of surfaces due to the interaction of photons, the particles that make up light, with the atoms and molecules of the material. This interaction causes the light to change direction and bounce off the surface.

How does the angle of incidence affect reflection and refraction?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a light ray hits a surface, determines the angle at which the light ray will reflect or refract. The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, while the law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the angle of refraction is dependent on the indices of refraction of the two materials the light is passing through.

What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray travels from a material with a higher index of refraction to a material with a lower index of refraction, and the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. This results in the light ray being completely reflected back into the original material instead of refracting through the second material.

How is the speed of light affected by different materials?

The speed of light is dependent on the material it is traveling through. In general, light travels slower in materials with a higher index of refraction. This is due to the interaction of the light with the particles of the material, which can slow down its speed. The speed of light in a vacuum is the fastest, at approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.