What is the velocity of light in glass based on refraction angles?

In summary, we have a light ray entering a piece of glass at an angle of 10 degrees and exiting at an angle of 15 degrees. Using the equation (sin a1 / c1) = (sin a2 / c2), we can calculate the velocity of the light ray in the glass. However, when using the second and third equations, which are equivalent to the first, we get a slightly different answer. This may be due to rounding errors or incorrect algebra.
The_Lobster

Homework Statement

A light ray enters a piece of glass at the angle a1 = 10 degrees. We measure it's refraction angle a2 = 15 degrees. With this information we find the velocity of the light ray in the glass.

Homework Equations

1. (sin a1 / c1) = (sin a2 / c2)

2. n-glass = (sin a1 x n-air) / sin a2

3. c-glass = (c-vacuum / n-glass)

The Attempt at a Solution

I get confused when trying to calculate the velocity of the light, and here's why:

If I take the first equation into account, I get c2 = (c1 x sin a2) / sin a1 --> (3E8 x sin 15) / sin 10 which equals: 447143843.2 m/s.

If I use the second and third equations instead, I combine these two and find the velocity of the light in the glass: 3E8 / ( (sin 10 x 1,003) / sin 15) which makes: 445806424 m/s.

Which one of these are correct? I would think the latter method. But why is the first method wrong? When we assume that light has wavelike behaviour?

:confused:

Cheers,
Joachim

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I might have understood it myself! Since light velocity in air and vacuum is *almost* the same, but not quite, that's my source of error in these equations? When I used the first equation i used 3E8 m/s as light speed in air, but the light speed in air is really 3E8 x 1,003 (which I have used in the latter equations). That is, if I multiply 3E8 by 1,003 in the first equation, I get a lot closer to the answer with the second equation. They're still not quite the same, but now it might be just due to rounding?

The_Lobster said:
A light ray enters a piece of glass at the angle a1 = 10 degrees. We measure it's refraction angle a2 = 15 degrees.
I think you have these angles reversed. Since the index of refraction of glass is greater than that of air, the angle of refraction will be less than the angle of incidence.
If I take the first equation into account, I get c2 = (c1 x sin a2) / sin a1
This seems correct.
If I use the second and third equations instead, I combine these two and find the velocity of the light in the glass:
Realize that combining the 2nd and 3rd equations is equivalent to the first: If you get a different answer, check your algebra.

Thank you!

Yes, I just reviewed what I had written in my first post: "A light ray enters a piece of glass ", it's supposed to be "A light ray exits a piece of glass ", that makes more sense with my variables=)

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is a fundamental constant in physics and is denoted by the symbol c.

2. How do light rays travel?

Light rays travel in a straight line, called a ray, from the source of the light to its destination. This is known as rectilinear propagation.

3. Can light rays change direction?

Yes, light rays can change direction when they encounter materials with different optical properties, such as when they pass through a lens or reflect off a mirror.

4. What is the difference between light rays and electromagnetic waves?

Light rays are a simplified model for the behavior of light, whereas electromagnetic waves describe the full range of electromagnetic radiation including light, radio waves, and X-rays. Light rays are used to understand the behavior of light in specific situations, such as reflection and refraction.

5. How does the velocity of light change in different mediums?

The speed of light changes when it travels through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This is due to the different optical properties and densities of these materials, which can affect the speed and direction of light rays as they pass through.