Light reflected from film, find maximum thickness of film, draw phase diagram.

In summary: Remember, it is important to carefully analyze the given information and think critically about which equation to use and what it means in the context of the problem. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if needed.In summary, the light reflected from a soap bubble, with an index of refraction of 1.4, appears bright red with a wavelength of 640 nm at its center. In order to determine the minimum thickness of the bubble, we use the equation 2nt = mλ, where n is the refractive index, t is the thickness, m is the order of interference, and λ is the wavelength. In this case, the interference is constructive, so we use the first equation to solve for t and get
D.B0004

Homework Statement

The light reflected from a soap bubble (n=1.4) appears bright red (wave length= 640 nm) at its center. What is the minimum thickness (in nm) there? Dray Phase Diagram.

Homework Equations

lambda(n)=lambda/n n=index of refraction
2*n*t=m*lambda
OR
2*n*t =(m+.5)*lambda
OR
2*n*t=m*lambda
I don't know which one to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried skipping the first equation, because we know the light is INSIDE already, we should have the lambda(n) needed for the second three equations. I plugged numbers into both and got answers. 230 nm is what I believe the answer is.
I understand that each of these are for different situations of constructive vs. destructive interference, but I do not understand how to tell which situation is happening in this question! I do not know when to change m either!
Thanks so much for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in this topic. I would like to offer some clarification and guidance on how to approach this question.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the equations you have listed are all related to the phenomenon of interference. Interference occurs when two or more waves interact with each other, resulting in a change in their amplitude (brightness) and/or wavelength. In the case of a soap bubble, the light is reflecting off both the outer and inner surfaces of the bubble, and these two reflected waves interfere with each other.

In order to determine the minimum thickness of the soap bubble, we need to use the equation 2nt = mλ, where n is the refractive index of the soap bubble (1.4 in this case), t is the thickness of the bubble, m is the order of the interference (1, 2, 3, etc.), and λ is the wavelength of the light (640 nm). This equation is used when the two waves are in phase, meaning that they are aligned in such a way that their peaks and troughs line up.

In this case, the light is reflecting off the inner surface of the bubble and then traveling back through the bubble to reach our eyes. This means that the wavelength of the light is effectively doubled (λ/2) when it reflects off the inner surface. So, we can rewrite the equation as 2nt = (m+0.5)λ. This equation is used when the two waves are out of phase, meaning that their peaks and troughs are misaligned.

Now, we need to determine the order of the interference (m) in order to solve for t. In this case, since the light appears bright red at the center of the bubble, we can assume that the interference is constructive. This means that the two waves are in phase and their amplitudes add together to produce a brighter light. So, we can use the first equation (2nt = mλ) to solve for t.

Plugging in the given values, we get:
2 * 1.4 * t = 1 * 640 nm
2.8t = 640 nm
t = 640 nm / 2.8 = 228.57 nm

So, the minimum thickness of the soap bubble at its center is 228.57 nm.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation and guide you in the right direction

1. What is the purpose of finding the maximum thickness of film when studying light reflection?

The maximum thickness of film is an important factor in understanding how light is reflected off of a surface. It helps determine the interference patterns and colors that are produced, and can provide valuable information about the properties of the film itself.

2. How is the maximum thickness of film calculated?

The maximum thickness of film can be calculated using the equation nλ/2, where n is the refractive index of the film and λ is the wavelength of light. This calculation takes into account the phase difference between the reflected light waves.

3. Can the maximum thickness of film vary for different types of light?

Yes, the maximum thickness of film can vary depending on the wavelength of light being used. This is because different wavelengths have different properties and can create different interference patterns when reflected off of a film.

4. How does the phase diagram help in understanding light reflection from film?

The phase diagram shows the relationship between the thickness of the film and the phase difference of the reflected light waves. This can help visualize the interference patterns and determine the maximum thickness of film for a given wavelength of light.

5. What other factors besides maximum thickness of film can affect light reflection?

Other factors that can affect light reflection from film include the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the film and the surrounding medium, and the polarization of the light. These variables can all impact the interference patterns and colors produced by the reflected light waves.