Light reflection

• Thread starter NicolasJ
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If light is from electric source, would persons on places A, B and C register any light in any spectrum.

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Born2bwire
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Depends. Is the light highly directed or is it being emitted isotropically in all directions? Are the surfaces highly absorbant or highly reflective. How large is your structure compared to the wavelength of light (is it visible light)?

If you're just talking about say a light bulb and a corridor I would say they all would probably see some light due to reflections.

If you're just talking about say a light bulb and a corridor I would say they all would probably see some light due to reflections.
Yes light bulb and a corridor, that is what I thought. Is there any way to prevent all reflection. Maybe painting the corridor black.

Reflections yes. Diffractions no. There will be some light everywhere but it may be very low intensity.

Born2bwire
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes light bulb and a corridor, that is what I thought. Is there any way to prevent all reflection. Maybe painting the corridor black.
Painting it black would certainly help. Carbon black would be good. You could also go further by placing painted rectangular spikes on the walls. We use specially painted spikes made of a foam like material in anechoic chambers to absorb radiation. The structure is pretty good for absorbing just about any kind of wave as it is also used in audio anechoic chambers. While they wouldn't be properly designed for visible light they would induce more backscattering and help break up the reflections that would normally send the light further down the corridor.

great idea, thank you