How Do You Calculate the Index of Refraction in a Light Refraction Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Snell's law to determine the index of refraction of a rectangular block of plastic. The angles of incidence and refraction are given, and it is suggested to treat the problem as two refractions and apply Snell's law at each interface. It is also mentioned that the angles of incidence and refraction are related, but not equal, and that the solution may involve finding a trigonometric relationship between the two angles.
floridianfisher

Homework Statement

A light ray enters a rectangular block of plastic at an angle 1 = 44.0° and emerges at an angle 2 = 79.0°, as shown in Figure P22.61.
p35-71.gif

Figure P22.61
(a) Determine the index of refraction of the plastic.
wrong check mark
(b) If the light ray enters the plastic at a point L = 50.0 cm from the bottom edge, how long does it take the light ray to travel through the plastic?
ns

Homework Equations

n1sin(1)=n2sin(2) or sin(critical)=n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted arcsin(11/44) and arcsine(79/44) but both were wrong. Can someone please help me get on the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat this as two refractions and apply Snell's law at each interface. Hint: How does the second angle (the angle of refraction) at the first interface relate to the first angle (angle of incidence) at the second interface?

I have sin(44)=nsin(theta2) and sin(79)=nsin(theta2) but that cannot be correct. I know that the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are equal. Please help I am mising something here.
Thanks

floridianfisher said:
I have sin(44)=nsin(theta2) and sin(79)=nsin(theta2) but that cannot be correct.
True, that cannot be correct, since [itex]\sin 44 \neq \sin 79[/itex].
I know that the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are equal.
They are related, but not equal.

For clarity, I'll rewrite the equations as:
[tex]\sin 44 = n \sin \theta_a[/tex]
[tex]\sin 79 = n \sin \theta_b[/tex]

Find the simple trignometric relationship between [itex]\theta_a[/itex] & [itex]\theta_b[/itex] by examining the diagram. Look for triangles.

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums.

2. What causes light to refract?

Light refracts when it enters a medium with a different density, which causes it to change speed and direction. This is due to the change in the index of refraction, a measure of how much the speed of light changes in a particular medium.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect light refraction?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the light enters the medium, determines the amount of refraction that occurs. A larger angle of incidence results in a greater amount of bending, while a smaller angle results in less bending.

4. What is Snell's law and how is it related to light refraction?

Snell's law is a mathematical relationship that describes how light bends when it travels from one medium to another. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.

5. How is light refraction used in everyday life?

Light refraction is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as eyeglasses, cameras, and microscopes. It is also responsible for optical illusions, such as the bending of a straw in a glass of water. Additionally, the study of light refraction has led to advancements in fields such as optics, astronomy, and medicine.