1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light refraction problem

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A light ray enters a rectangular block of plastic at an angle 1 = 44.0° and emerges at an angle 2 = 79.0°, as shown in Figure P22.61.
    [​IMG]

Figure P22.61
    (a) Determine the index of refraction of the plastic.
    wrong check mark
    (b) If the light ray enters the plastic at a point L = 50.0 cm from the bottom edge, how long does it take the light ray to travel through the plastic?
    ns

2. Relevant equations
    n1sin(1)=n2sin(2) or sin(critical)=n2/n1

3. The attempt at a solution
    i attempted arcsin(11/44) and arcsine(79/44) but both were wrong. Can someone please help me get on the right path?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Treat this as two refractions and apply Snell's law at each interface. Hint: How does the second angle (the angle of refraction) at the first interface relate to the first angle (angle of incidence) at the second interface?

4. Jul 14, 2007 #3
    I have sin(44)=nsin(theta2) and sin(79)=nsin(theta2) but that cannot be correct. I know that the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are equal. Please help Im mising something here.
    Thanks

5. Jul 15, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

True, that cannot be correct, since [itex]\sin 44 \neq \sin 79[/itex].
    They are related, but not equal.

For clarity, I'll rewrite the equations as:
    [tex]\sin 44 = n \sin \theta_a[/tex]
    [tex]\sin 79 = n \sin \theta_b[/tex]

Find the simple trignometric relationship between [itex]\theta_a[/itex] & [itex]\theta_b[/itex] by examining the diagram. Look for triangles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?