Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Light Refraction/ Reflection/ Etc

1. Oct 28, 2003 #1
    Hi all. I just have a few questions regarding light refraction and reflection.

At sunset, the sun seems to be higher in the sky than it really is- correct? What causes this?

Which color of light is refracted least by a glass prism? How do each of the colors separate through a prism to determine how they are reflected/refracted?

Last, but not least:

A layer of oil floats on a layer or water. A ray of light in the air above the oil strikes the oil at an incidence angle of 40*. The ray continues through the oil into the water. What is the angle of refraction of the light ray in water? I know that the index for water is 1.33, for oil it is 1.45, and for air it is 1.00. I got the answer to be 28.9* and I feel pretty confident that is correct....but could someone just double-check my thinking please?

Thank you so much!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2003 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We do not do your homework for you on this board. You must show that you have but a bit of thought into the problems. Please post more specific questions about where you are haveing troubles.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook