1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Refraction/ Reflection/ Etc

1. Oct 28, 2003 #1
    Hi all. I just have a few questions regarding light refraction and reflection.

At sunset, the sun seems to be higher in the sky than it really is- correct? What causes this?

Which color of light is refracted least by a glass prism? How do each of the colors separate through a prism to determine how they are reflected/refracted?

Last, but not least:

A layer of oil floats on a layer or water. A ray of light in the air above the oil strikes the oil at an incidence angle of 40*. The ray continues through the oil into the water. What is the angle of refraction of the light ray in water? I know that the index for water is 1.33, for oil it is 1.45, and for air it is 1.00. I got the answer to be 28.9* and I feel pretty confident that is correct....but could someone just double-check my thinking please?

Thank you so much!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We do not do your homework for you on this board. You must show that you have but a bit of thought into the problems. Please post more specific questions about where you are haveing troubles.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?