Light Scattering by (Transparent) Spheres: Mie Solution

P_{n}^{1}(\cos{\theta}) - b_{n}(2n+1)P_{n}^{2}(\cos{\theta})]\\S_{2} (\theta) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} [b_{n}\cos{\theta}P_{n}^{1}(\cos{\theta}) - a_{n}(2n+1)P_{n}^{2}(\cos{\theta})]Therefore, we can see that there is a difference in coefficients between the two forms of the scattering function, with S_{1} having a coefficient of -b_{n}(2n+1)P_{
daverace

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling to understand the relationship between two algebraic forms of the scattering function used in the Mie solution for light scattered by (transparent) spheres. I think there's some use being made of Legendre function identities, but I've been unable to work out the details of how to move from one form to the other.

Homework Equations

Here's the form of the [itex]S_{1}[/itex] and [itex]S_{2}[/itex] scattering functions given in, for e.g., Liou or Bohren & Huffman (the two books I have in my possession):

[itex]S_{1} ( \theta ) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{2n + 1}{n (n + 1 )} [ a_{n} \pi_{n} ( \cos{\theta} ) + b_{n} \tau_{n} ]\\
S_{2} ( \theta ) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{2n + 1}{n (n + 1 )} [ b_{n} \pi_{n} ( \cos{\theta} ) + a_{n} \tau_{n} ][/itex]
where:
[itex]\pi_{n} \left( \cos{\theta} \right) = \frac{P^{1}_{n} \left( \cos{\theta} \right)}{\sin{\theta}}\\
\tau_{n} \left( \cos{\theta} \right) = \frac{dP^{1}_{n} \left( \cos{\theta} \right)}{d\theta}[/itex]
(pages 186 and 112 in those books, respectively).

I'm using this to work on the rainbow, so I've been looking at a lot of Nussenzveig's work. He always starts off with the following equation:
[itex]S_{j} \left( \beta \theta \right) = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{l = 1}^{\infty} \left\{ \left[ 1 - S^{\left(j \right)}_{l} \left( \beta \right) \right] t_{l} \left( \cos{\theta} \right) + \left[ 1 - S^{\left(j \right)}_{l} \left( \beta \right) \right] p_{l} \left( \cos{\theta} \right) \right\}
\;\; \left( i, j = 1, 2 i \neq j \right)[/itex]
where:
[itex]p_{v} \left( \cos{\theta} \right) = \frac{\left[ P_{v - 1} \cos{\theta} - P_{v + 1} \cos{\theta} \right]}{ \sin{\theta}^{2} } \\
t_{v} \left( \cos{\theta} \right) = - \cos{\theta} p_{v} \left( \cos{\theta} \right) + \left( 2v + 1 \right) P_{v} \left( \cos{\theta} \right)[/itex]
See, for example: Nussenzveig's 1969.

(Note the change in indices; [itex]l = n[/itex] for these equations.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely baffled how to move from the first set of equations to the second (including the difference in coefficients, [itex]a_{n}[/itex] for example. Any help would be great; explicitly steps by steps would be obviously favourable.

(I have managed to find an identity between [itex]\frac{2n+1}{n(n+1)}\frac{d}{d\theta}P_{n}(cos{\theta})[/itex] and [itex]p_{l}(cos{\theta})[/itex], but this by itself is unhelpful.)

Oh, I should point out that I'm no longer a physics student, but actually a philosophy of science student. This just seemed like the most appropriate place to put this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My Attempt at a SolutionI believe that the relationship between the two forms of the scattering function can be derived by making use of the following identity:P_{n}^{m} (\cos{\theta}) = \frac{2n+1}{n(n+1)}\frac{d}{d\theta}[\sin{\theta}P_{n-1}^{m+1}(\cos{\theta})]Using this identity, we can rewrite the equations for S_{1} and S_{2} as follows:S_{1} (\theta) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2n+1}{n(n+1)}\frac{d}{d\theta}[a_{n}\sin{\theta}P_{n-1}^{1}(\cos{\theta}) + b_{n}\sin{\theta}P_{n-1}^{2}(\cos{\theta})]\\S_{2} (\theta) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{2n+1}{n(n+1)}\frac{d}{d\theta}[b_{n}\sin{\theta}P_{n-1}^{1}(\cos{\theta}) + a_{n}\sin{\theta}P_{n-1}^{2}(\cos{\theta})]Now, we can make use of the following identities to simplify the equations further:\frac{d}{d\theta} P_{n}^{1}(\cos{\theta}) = -\cos{\theta}P_{n}^{1}(\cos{\theta}) + (2n+1)P_{n}^{2}(\cos{\theta}) \\\frac{d}{d\theta} P_{n}^{2}(\cos{\theta}) = \sin{\theta}P_{n-1}^{1}(\cos{\theta})Substituting these identities into the equations for S_{1} and S_{2}, we can rewrite them as:S_{1} (\theta) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}

1. What is light scattering by transparent spheres?

Light scattering by transparent spheres is the phenomenon where light rays are scattered in all directions when they encounter a transparent sphere. This can occur when light passes through a medium with spherical particles, such as air or water.

2. What is the Mie solution for light scattering by transparent spheres?

The Mie solution is a mathematical method used to calculate the scattering of light by transparent spheres. It takes into account the size, refractive index, and shape of the sphere to accurately predict the scattering pattern.

3. How is light scattering by transparent spheres used in scientific research?

Light scattering by transparent spheres is used in a variety of scientific fields, including atmospheric science, astronomy, and materials science. It can be used to study the composition and properties of particles in a medium, such as the size and refractive index of aerosol particles in the atmosphere.

4. What factors affect the scattering of light by transparent spheres?

The scattering of light by transparent spheres can be affected by several factors, including the size, refractive index, and shape of the sphere, as well as the wavelength and polarization of the incident light. The surrounding medium and the concentration of the spheres can also play a role.

5. How is the Mie solution different from other methods of calculating light scattering?

The Mie solution is a more accurate and versatile method compared to simpler models, such as Rayleigh scattering, which only considers small particles. It can also be used for particles of any size and shape, whereas other methods may have limitations based on the assumptions made in their calculations.