1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Speed and life

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    If light from long dead stars is only just reaching us, does this mean that if I shine a Lazer pointer into space, the light beam will continue long after I have turned of the power .. If this is true would a light beam continue to travel indefinably ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Yes, the light pulse from your laser pointer will continue to travel out into space indefinitely, unless it hits something ( a star, a planet, gets absorbed by dust, etc.)

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3
    Actually, the light will dim slightly as it goes. This happens for 2 major reasons.

For one, the outer space isn't completely empty. It is actually a very thin gas, but it still blocks some of the light. The second reason is that a laser is not perfectly collimated, instead the light spreads (usually a few cm/km for laser pointers), and if someone looks at it from very far away it will be very dim.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4
    also the photons that make up the laser beam will become redshifted with the expansion of space itself, causing them to become dimmer over a long period of time

6. Feb 8, 2012 #5
    that brings me to a question, is the speed of light, or indeed anything, affected by the expansion of the universe?

7. Feb 8, 2012 #6
    galaxies are getting further apart
    it's not really fast enough to be thought of as a force however

but if the universe were to be expanding incredibly fast gravity wouldn't be able to hold the galaxies together for example

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook