Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light speed Impossible Faster than lightProbable?

1. Oct 27, 2004 #1
    Light speed....Impossible Faster than light..Probable?

With all the talk of speed of light and what not i have to ask. Einstien said that to travel at the speed of light required an infinite amount of energy, correct? Einstien also said that it is impossible to go from a velocity of below the speed of light and reach a velocity of teh speed of light, correct? well what about particles that are already above the speed of light. I think they exist in theory because i have heard them bieng described in class as tacheyons. so my question is, can tacheyons be harnessed to give things faster than light velocities?
    (sorry if i spelled tacheyons wrong)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tachyons are very theoretical, a figment of the mathematics of Relativity, they have never been observed and may or may not exist. If they do exist it will require an infinite amount of energy to SLOW them down to the speed of light.

4. Oct 27, 2004 #3
    How would you g about harnessing them if they travel so fast? You wouldn't even be able to detect them becasue the light wouldn't reach you or rather the device ur using fast enough. Is that not correct?

5. Oct 27, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You're correct - that's what's so tough about them.

6. Oct 27, 2004 #5

T@P

also i believe according to the special theory of relativity their mass would be imaginary... correct if im wrong but doesnt the mass tend to a number over 0 as the speed approaches the speed of light? and similarly, how is it possible for something to go faster than the speed of light if the the term sqrt(1-(v^2)/(c^2)) would end up imaginary?

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Light speed....Impossible Faster than light..Probable?

necroposting of the worst sort.
    Thread closed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?