Light Speed Q&A: Can Cameras Capture Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses a camera that can capture 1 trillion frames per second and can be used to record the speed of light. There is mention of another camera that can capture 4 trillion frames per second, but doubts are raised about its ability to actually record something moving at the speed of light. It is clarified that the cameras do record the light, but not all at once. Instead, they capture a single string of pixels' intensities through electronic switching and then repeat the process to create a movie. This process is made easier with the help of computers.
Mohd Abdullah
Hi,

Are anyone here familiar with this?

It shows a camera that can capture 1 trillion frames per second, and the camera can be used to record the speed of light. The other day, I saw an article when I was searching something on Google and it said a 4 trillion camera were created by Japanese scientists and it also can be used to record light.

But I doubt that those cameras can actually record something that is moving at light speed, let alone recording the light itself. In my opinion, what they were recorded were actually not light itself and I think they were recording something that was actually moving much slower than light. Thoughts?

Science news on Phys.org
They did record the light, but they didn't capture it all in one go.

As I understand it, they can capture a single string of pixels' intensities with a "shutter speed" that's phenomenally fast, because of electronic switching of the photodetectors instead of actual shutters.
What they do is shoot the pulse of light again and again, to get the intensity distribution of every pixel over the total number of frames needed for the movie. It would be a painstaking and laborious process if computers weren't so good at what they do.

1. What is light speed and how is it related to cameras?

Light speed refers to the speed at which light travels, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. Cameras are able to capture light because they use a combination of lenses and sensors to record the light that enters through the lens.

2. Can cameras actually capture light or just the objects that are illuminated by light?

Cameras are able to capture both light and the objects illuminated by light. When we see a photograph, we are actually seeing the light that was reflected off of the objects in the scene and captured by the camera.

3. How do cameras capture light that is moving at such a high speed?

Cameras use a shutter mechanism to control the amount of time that light is allowed to enter and hit the camera's sensor. This allows the camera to capture a single moment in time and freeze the movement of light, resulting in a clear and sharp image.

4. Is it possible for cameras to capture light that is invisible to the human eye?

Yes, cameras are able to capture a wider spectrum of light than our eyes can see. This includes infrared and ultraviolet light, which are invisible to the human eye but can be detected by cameras with the right equipment and settings.

5. Can cameras capture light in complete darkness?

No, cameras require some source of light in order to capture an image. However, there are low light or night vision cameras that are able to capture images in very low light conditions by amplifying the available light or using infrared light.