1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light through a window

1. Mar 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A lamp producing 1600 lumens is 16" away from a window of 0.015m^2 on a wall 0.14m^2, what is the amount of light through the window.

2. Relevant equations
    lux = lumens/m^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since there's no material in the window, shouldn't it be the full 1600 lumens seen inside?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I think the point of the question is that the light source is isotropic, so only a fraction of the total light goes through the area of the window. How can you calculate the fraction of the total area that the window represents (hint -- use the distance to the window for something...)

4. Mar 21, 2011 #3
    am I correct in thinking that if I multiply the lux over the area, from the lamp to the window, by the window's area I'll get the lumens through the window?

Light through window = (light from lamp)/(pi*distance2)*(window surface area)

5. Mar 21, 2011 #4

berkeman

It is some area ratio, but on re-reading the question, maybe the light source is not isotropic? They mention a wall and a window, so I'm not sure whether to ratio the area of the window to the wall or to an isotropic sphere. Is there a picture that goes with the question, or else are you able to understand the question well enough to answer it now?

6. Mar 21, 2011 #5
    I dropped him an e-mail and he says to consider it as a sphere.

7. Mar 21, 2011 #6

berkeman

Okay, so you know what to ratio then?

8. Mar 21, 2011 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?