1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Transmittance

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light of wavelength 5000 angstroms is incident normally on a series of two transparent plastic disks separated by a distance large compared with the wavelength. If the index o refraction of the disks is n=1.5, what fraction of the light is transmitted? Neglect absorption, internal multiple reflections, and interference effects.

2. Relevant equations
    T = 1+R
    R = (n1-n2)/(n1+n2), where n is the index of refraction depending on the material

Itotal is proportional to |Etotal|^2 = Etot * (Etot*) where (Etot*) is the complex conjugate.

3. The attempt at a solution
    R = (1-1.5)/(1+1.5) = -0.20: going from air to the disk1
    Similar calculations for air to disk1, disk1 to air, air to disk2, and disk2 to air.

I tried to calculate Etotal as:
    Etotal = -0.20*E0 + 0.20E0* e^(i*delta)
    delta = 2kd = 2*(2pi/lambda)*d where d = thickness of the disc
    but I am not given a thickness...

Am I missing an equation I need to use? Approaching this from the wrong angle?
    Any advice would help! Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2
    You've got an error in your equation for reflectivity. It should be ((n1 - n2)/(n1 +n2))^2

which gives me an r = 0.04 or 4%. So that means 96% of light incident on each plate will transmit through... work from there:)

Also for this thickness won't matter too much but remember that there is an interface at the front and the back of the plate... so really you've got 4 interfaces to find the transmission through.

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    Thanks lambduh! I think I figured it out. :)

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    is not it R+T=1 giving T=1-R?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook