1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Up 7 segment display

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    Hello all, you may remeber from past about the circuit I was working on to get a simple 7 segment display to work... we had to tangent from that for awhile but we are finally back...

I got frustrated with problems in the 5 bread board circuit with around 100 led's so I streamlined the circuit with my partner and it now contains the integrated circuits on one board. I am trying to figure out how to get this stupid seven segment LED to light up

Here is a diagram of what I currently have built- The 555 works and blinks the two leds, also the 8 other leds work and count... however the seven segment display does not work.
    www.quantumninja.com/hw/Circuit.pdf

I am not sure what to do with the final leads for the seven segment display

the parts used are
    555-integrated circuit
    7490-integrated circuit *2
    7447-integrated circuit
    LN514rk seven segment display
    http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/PANASONIC/LN514RK.html
    specs for seven segment display

if link doesn't work just search www.alldatasheet.com for specific parts to get spec sheets

I don't know what to do to make it work please help!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2
    Do you have pins 3 and 4 of the 7447 tied high? I don't see it on the schematic. Look at the truth table for the 7447.

Do you also have pins 3 and 14 of the display tied to gnd?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  4. Dec 7, 2004 #3
    Um no I don't ....I was just told to tie the other pins of the display to positive... hmm

5. Dec 7, 2004 #4
    One thing I was also considering was making sure that the LN514rk 7 segmetn display is common anode as opposed to common cathode... becasue if its common cathode wouldn't I need the 7448 instead of the 7447?

6. Dec 8, 2004 #5
    What I really need to know is the connections between the 7447 and ln514rk .... what goes ground what goes positive

7. Dec 8, 2004 #6

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your common cathodes (pins 3 & 14) should go to gnd.

8. Dec 8, 2004 #7
    HAHAHAHAHA I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realized that the led was common cathode and so switched the 7447 with a 7448 and it worked

thanks a lot for the help though guys... does anyone know of any free software taht streamlines circuits drawings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?