Light wave E(x,t)=(E_o)exp[i(kx-wt)]

• Thread starter Liquidxlax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Wave
In summary, the equation E(x,t)=(E_o)exp[i(kx-wt)] describes the behavior of light waves and includes variables such as the electric field at a point in space and time, the amplitude of the electric field, the wave number, and the angular frequency. It is used in various areas of optics and photonics, but it has limitations as it only applies to light waves in vacuum and does not consider other factors that can affect the behavior of light in different materials.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Consider the light wave E(x,t) = Eoei(kx-wt) propagating through a glass plate of thickness d and refractive index n. Assume the refractive index of the surrounding medium is 1.

|___(n)___|__________________________________|_____>X
x=0 x=d x=L

a) In the absence of the glass plate, show that the field at x=L is related to the field at x=0 by

E(L,t) = E(0,t)eia find a

b) With the glass plate inserted, the new field at x=L is related to the incident field at x=0 by

E'(L,t) = E(0,t)eia' find a'

(hint: you may want to divide the problem up into two parts. First find E(d,t) in terms of E(0,t), then find E(L,t) in terms of E(d,t).)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) a=kL because wt is the same for both, or so i think

b) I'm not totally sure what to insert here considering my textbook is lacking on this part. What i assume is that since

k=2pi/wavelength and the change in wavelength in a medium is the wavelength divided by the index of refraction. so

nk=n2pi/wavelength

E(d,t)= Eoenkd-wt

so for E(0,t) to equal E(d,t). E(0,t) would have to be multiplied by endk

thanks in advance, hope this is understandable

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your approach to part a) is correct. Since the wave is propagating through the same medium, the phase difference between the two points (x=0 and x=L) will be the same and therefore the phase constant a will be equal to kL.

For part b), you are on the right track but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, the phase constant a' will not be equal to kL because the wave is now propagating through a different medium (the glass plate). The correct expression for a' will involve the refractive index of the glass plate and the thickness d.

Secondly, in order to find E(d,t) in terms of E(0,t), you will need to use the fact that the wave is traveling through a medium with a different refractive index. This will change the wave vector k and the angular frequency w of the wave. You can use the relation you mentioned, nk=n2pi/wavelength, to find the new values of k and w in terms of the original values.

Once you have found E(d,t) in terms of E(0,t), you can use this result to find E(L,t) in terms of E(d,t). This will involve another phase constant that will be dependent on the refractive index of the glass plate and the thickness d. Combining this result with the expression you found for E(L,t) in part a) will give you the final expression for E'(L,t) in terms of E(0,t).

I hope this helps clarify the steps needed to solve part b). Good luck!

1. What is the meaning of the variables in the equation E(x,t)=(E_o)exp[i(kx-wt)]?

The variable E(x,t) represents the electric field at a certain point in space (x) and time (t). (E_o) is the amplitude or strength of the electric field. k is the wave number, which is related to the wavelength of the light wave. wt represents the angular frequency, which is related to the frequency of the light wave.

2. How is this equation related to light waves?

This equation is known as the electromagnetic wave equation and it describes the behavior of light waves. It shows how the electric field of a light wave varies in space and time.

3. What is the significance of the exponential term in the equation?

The exponential term exp[i(kx-wt)] represents the oscillatory nature of light waves. It shows how the electric field varies sinusoidally in both space and time. It also helps in understanding the polarization and direction of propagation of the light wave.

4. How is the equation used in studying light waves?

The equation is used in many areas of optics and photonics, such as in the study of diffraction, interference, and polarization of light waves. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light in different media and in the creation of various optical devices.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation in describing light waves?

Yes, this equation is a simplified version of the full electromagnetic wave equation and it only applies to electromagnetic waves in vacuum. It does not take into account factors such as absorption, scattering, and refraction, which can affect the behavior of light in different materials.