1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light wave interference

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    Hello, I need help with a light wave interference question.

Q: Imagine you are trying to measure the width of a single strand of spider web. You have fastened the web to the slide horizontally. You illuminate the strand with a 650nm laser and project the resulting interference pattern onto the wall where you have fastened a piece of paper. Given that the strand is
    65 μm wide and is located 2 meters from the wall, draw the resulting interference pattern you would see in. Draw the pattern to scale in the correct orientation. Include only the m=-2, -1, 0, 1, 2 maxima (bright spots). Indicate the distance between each adjacent maximum.

Usually I would say what I know and how I would approach this problem, but for this one I really am at a lost. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

The spider web thread is opaque; it will cast a shadow.
    Outside the edges of the thread are paths that diffract into the shadow.
    They each have a path length from thread to screen (like single-slit)
    the path Length difference (L_top - L_bottom) causes interference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?