1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light Waves

1. May 15, 2006 #1
    I know that light waves move in three dimensions, however I do not get in what way, for example: a sound wave looks sinusoidal. So my question is this: what does a 3-D light wave look like?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. May 16, 2006 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on the wavelength. If the wave has a wavelength of around 450 nanometers, the wave looks kind of blue. Around 650 nanonmeters, it looks kind of red. :rofl:

Light waves are still sinusoidal. They just propagate in a spherical pattern. That means you don't really have parallel light waves. Each 'parallel' light wave is really getting just a little bit further away from its companion, hence the inverse square law for the intensity of light.

5. May 16, 2006 #4
    A pulse of light would look like a sphere whose diameter gradually increases over time. The sphere would be centered at the lightwave's source. If the light source is continuous, as it usually is, you would see a series of spheres just like the one I described above. The distance between each sphere is equal to the wavelength.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?