Is a High Horsepower, Lightweight Diesel Engine Possible for a Race Truck?

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a lightweight race truck and finding a high horsepower diesel engine that is not too heavy. Suggestions include looking into a diesel hybrid sports car, engines with lower compression ratios, and diesel engines used in races such as LeMans. The person is interested in diesel engines out of curiosity and for potential use of a gaseous state fuel in the future. Some recommendations for durability are a larger truck engine and careful consideration of turbocharging.
Frostfire
Hey, I am working on a project and yahoo answers hasn't been much help. I am building a light weight race truck and I was hoping someone in here had heard of a high horse power diesel engine that wasn't heavier then the rest of the truck :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
What sort of power/weight ratio are you looking for? There are loads of very high performance Diesel engines around these days. Small truck? Big truck? What sort of power are you after? What sort of racing?

Frostfire said:
Hey, I am working on a project and yahoo answers hasn't been much help. I am building a light weight race truck and I was hoping someone in here had heard of a high horse power diesel engine that wasn't heavier then the rest of the truck :)

Coincidentally, I got an e-mail from a friend today about this performance diesel/hybrid sports car with impressive performance numbers:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31166_7-10406217-271.html

They say something about the diesel engine bing a micro-turbine, but I don't know what that means. Might be worth checking out...

From what I gather, diesel engines are heavy for their power output (ignoring the fact that they don't rev very hard) is due to their high compression ratio. The latest diesel engines in cars are dropping their compression ratios and becoming more like petrol engines so a mechanic friend was telling me. So I'd say look for the engines with lower compression ratios.

Additionally, the Abrahams tanks that can do something like 50km/h run on a turbine engine that uses diesel as a fuel. Turbine engines generally have a better power to weight ratio as far as I know.

Otherwise check out the details of the Audi R10 Prototype GT car and the Peugeot equivalent. Both ought to have high power to weight ratios as they are being raced (and doing well) in the LeMans 24hr and GT races. They run on diesel that has been made from gas though (gas -> diesel as they do in South Africa), so I'm not sure how much that has an influence on their performance.

Thanks for the links and info, that gives me a direction to go in. Its a normal truck like a prerunner just a really light wieght one relitively. Vale-46 I agree with the sentiment but I need higher compression to deal with some serious turbo charging, anyone have any ideas what the newer diesels are running at compression wise?

Why do you need higher compression ratio for heavy turbocharging? A lower compression ratio will allow higher BMEPs with high pressure ratio turbocharging better than a higher compression ratio, since you'll be limited on peak cylinder pressures (or possibly exhaust temperatures).

I ask again, what sort of power are you looking for? What is your intended application (or duty cycle, are you entering drag racing events, or 24 hour rallies?). What's a "normal truck"? Are you concerned about anything else, like fuel consumption, reliability, durability, smoke, cost, heat rejection?

If we can understand what you're trying to do, you'll get some great advice here (I develop turbocharged Diesel engines for a living, and there are plenty of others here with engine and racing experience).

Vale-46 said:
The latest diesel engines in cars are dropping their compression ratios and becoming more like petrol engines so a mechanic friend was telling me. So I'd say look for the engines with lower compression ratios.

This isn't true. Compression ratios in modern diesel engines are just as high as ever since there is a minimum CR required for compression ignition. Modern diesel engines are lighter in some cases because the engine block is made out of higher strength materials, and turbocharging is more prevalent allowing smaller displacements for a given power output.

Vale-46 said:
Additionally, the Abrahams tanks that can do something like 50km/h run on a turbine engine that uses diesel as a fuel. Turbine engines generally have a better power to weight ratio as far as I know.

Turbine engines definitely have significantly higher power to weight ratios than piston engines, but it's obviously not realistic to tell this guy to put a diesel turbine in his truck.

Vale-46 said:
Otherwise check out the details of the Audi R10 Prototype GT car and the Peugeot equivalent. Both ought to have high power to weight ratios as they are being raced (and doing well) in the LeMans 24hr and GT races.

The Audi Racing TDI engine is a very impressive engine, but where is the OP going to get one? One engine he might look into is the V6 TDI or V10 TDI out of a wrecked VW Touareg, although it might be difficult to find a transmission to mount up to it. The V-10 TDI puts out 309 HP and 553-627 ft-lb of torque depending on production year, pretty healthy for 4.9l of displacement. That's probably the best power to weight ratio from a diesel engine you will be able to find in a production car.

Hey thanks for all the advice, I am building it for a desert race and sand dune travel. I want to keep the build below 40K for parts. I am looking at between 600hp and 1400hp and below 2000flbs for the driveline I have set up. I was interested in diesel engine mostly out of curiosity as apposed to an ls7 or simaliar. Ultimatly I am interested in a gaseous state fuel but that's down the line. I am an engineering student and was looking to improve a project I have had around for a while. I want it to last for as long as possible, be as cheap to operate as possible but I am not incredible worried about initial cost.

thanks again

For durability, for something like that I'd probably be looking at something like a 11-13 litre truck engine, and very carefully revisit the turbocharging. But I don't know whether your definition of 'truck' is the same as mine.

The amount of horsepower you're looking for is a lot... what size engine are you hoping to get that out of? What size truck? How heavy? Do you really have a driveline that will put up with 2000 ft-lbs of torque?

1. What is a light weight diesel engine?

A light weight diesel engine is a type of internal combustion engine that runs on diesel fuel and is designed to be lighter in weight compared to traditional diesel engines. This is achieved through the use of lightweight materials such as aluminum and smaller engine components.

2. What are the advantages of a light weight diesel engine?

Some advantages of a light weight diesel engine include improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and increased durability. The lighter weight also allows for better acceleration and handling in vehicles.

3. How does a light weight diesel engine work?

A light weight diesel engine works by compressing air in the combustion chamber, which causes the temperature to rise. Diesel fuel is then injected into the chamber, where it ignites and creates a controlled explosion. This explosion pushes the piston, which turns the crankshaft and powers the vehicle.

4. What types of vehicles use light weight diesel engines?

Light weight diesel engines are commonly used in cars, trucks, and SUVs as well as heavy duty vehicles such as buses and commercial trucks. They are also used in some marine vessels and generators.

5. How does a light weight diesel engine compare to a gasoline engine?

Compared to a gasoline engine, a light weight diesel engine typically has better fuel efficiency, lower emissions, and a longer lifespan. However, they can be more expensive to manufacture and may have a louder engine noise. They also require special maintenance and repairs due to their unique design.