Lightning and Airplanes: Solving a Distance Problem

• Thread starter computerex
  • Start date
In summary, someone is asking for confirmation on a solution to a problem involving a person witnessing a lightning strike and an airplane flying overhead. The person hears the thunder 5.1 seconds after the lightning strike and the airplane passes overhead 11 seconds after the lightning strike. The distance from the person to the airplane can be found using the equation d = 1100*5.1 and is approximately 5,610 ft. The average speed of the airplane can be found by dividing the distance by the time, giving an average speed of 510 ft/s. The only potential issue is the reported answer having too many significant figures.
computerex
Can someone confirm the solution? My elder sister who is in college had this problem for homework, and asked me weather I could take a look at it. For some reason however my answers are incorrect, and I was wondering weather anyone could point me in the correct direction.

Homework Statement

a. A person witnesses a lightning strike pass near an airplane. Approximately 5.1 seconds after the lightning strike, the person hears the thunder. The airplane passes overhead 11 seconds following the lightning strike. Assuming the speed of sound to be 1100 ft/s, what is the distance of the person from the airplane precisely when the lightning strikes?

b. What is the average speed the plane is traveling at?

Homework Equations

average speed = distance/time
distance = time * average speed

The Attempt at a Solution

The distance from the person to the lightning strike can be found by:
d = 1100*5.1
= 5610

For simplification, assuming that the distance of the airplane from the person is equivalent
to the distance of the lightning strike from the person, the distance of the airplane from the person is approximately 5, 610 ft.

The solution to the second part of the problem can be found by dividing 5610, the distance of the airplane from the person, by 11, the time it takes for the airplane to reach the person, giving you an average speed of 510 ft/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. Only problem I can think of is too many significant figures in the reported answer 5610 ft.

Your solution is close, but there are a few errors. First, the distance from the person to the lightning strike is not simply 1100*5.1. This calculation would give you the distance the sound travels in 5.1 seconds, but we need to take into account the time it takes for the sound to travel from the lightning strike to the person. This can be calculated using the formula d = st, where d is the distance, s is the speed of sound, and t is the time.

So, the distance from the person to the lightning strike can be calculated as:
d = (1100 ft/s)(5.1 s) + (1100 ft/s)(5.1 s)
= 5610 ft + 5610 ft
= 11,220 ft

Next, we need to take into account the time it takes for the airplane to reach the person. This can be calculated by subtracting the time it takes for the sound to reach the person (5.1 seconds) from the total time (11 seconds). So, the time it takes for the airplane to reach the person is 11 seconds - 5.1 seconds = 5.9 seconds.

Finally, we can calculate the average speed of the airplane by dividing the distance (11,220 ft) by the time (5.9 seconds). This gives us an average speed of approximately 1903 ft/s.

So, to answer the questions:

a. The distance from the person to the airplane when the lightning strikes is approximately 11,220 ft.

b. The average speed of the airplane is approximately 1903 ft/s.

I hope this helps! Remember to always double check your calculations and take into account all relevant factors. Best of luck!

1. How is the distance of lightning calculated?

The distance of lightning can be calculated by counting the number of seconds between the flash of lightning and the sound of thunder. Then, divide this number by 5 to get the distance in miles or by 3 to get the distance in kilometers.

2. Why does lightning appear to strike before the sound of thunder is heard?

This is because light travels much faster than sound. Light travels at approximately 186,000 miles per second while sound travels at around 1,100 feet per second. Therefore, the light from the lightning reaches our eyes much faster than the sound reaches our ears.

3. Can lightning strike the same place twice?

Yes, lightning can strike the same place multiple times. This is because lightning tends to strike tall and highly conductive objects, such as trees, buildings, or lightning rods, which can be struck multiple times during a storm.

4. Is it safe to be inside a car during a lightning storm?

Yes, being inside a car during a lightning storm is generally safe. The metal frame of the car acts as a Faraday cage, directing the electrical charge around the vehicle and protecting those inside. However, avoid touching any metal surfaces inside the car, as they can conduct electricity.

5. What precautions should I take during a lightning storm?

If you are caught outside during a lightning storm, seek shelter in a sturdy building or a car. Avoid open fields, tall trees, and bodies of water. If you cannot find shelter, crouch down low on the ground, keeping your feet close together, and avoid being the tallest object in the area. Do not use electronic devices or metal objects, and stay away from metal fences, power lines, and other conductive objects.