1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightening distance problem

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    Can someone confirm the solution? My elder sister who is in college had this problem for homework, and asked me weather I could take a look at it. For some reason however my answers are incorrect, and I was wondering weather anyone could point me in the correct direction.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a. A person witnesses a lightening strike pass near an airplane. Approximately 5.1 seconds after the lightening strike, the person hears the thunder. The airplane passes overhead 11 seconds following the lightening strike. Assuming the speed of sound to be 1100 ft/s, what is the distance of the person from the airplane precisely when the lightening strikes?

b. What is the average speed the plane is traveling at?

2. Relevant equations

average speed = distance/time
    distance = time * average speed

3. The attempt at a solution

The distance from the person to the lightening strike can be found by:
    d = 1100*5.1
    = 5610

For simplification, assuming that the distance of the airplane from the person is equivalent
    to the distance of the lightening strike from the person, the distance of the airplane from the person is approximately 5, 610 ft.

The solution to the second part of the problem can be found by dividing 5610, the distance of the airplane from the person, by 11, the time it takes for the airplane to reach the person, giving you an average speed of 510 ft/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks right to me. Only problem I can think of is too many significant figures in the reported answer 5610 ft.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?