Lightweight Tubular Frame: Can it Float?

In summary: Welcome to Physics Forums!In summary, using a vacuum to remove the weight of a frame would be impractical, as the pressure from the surrounding air would cause stress on the frame. A company in Germany is developing a semi-rigid airship which apparently does not try to cancel the weight of the frame completely: by using a lighter-than-air gas, hydrogen.
Rooler
Can you use a vacuum, or lighter than air gas within a tubular frame network to neutralize the apparent weight of the frame? If this is possible what is thee smallest possible size you could make this frame, I understand that the more you scale it up the lighter proportionately the frame would become therefore finding the smallest possible size and working up into more useful sizes is the most logical and economical idea.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

A fellow named Zeppelin carried out your idea beginning about a hundred years ago, using a lighter-than-air gas: hydrogen, which ended up having disastrous consequences. Helium is safer but scarcer and much more expensive. A company in Germany is developing a semi-rigid airship which apparently does not try to cancel the weight of the frame completely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_NT

I expect using a vacuum would be impractical because of the stresses that the external air pressure would produce on the frame.

Last edited:
You know the density of air; you can look up the density of materials from which you might wish to fabricate your framework; you can calculate a minimum wall thickness to resist atmospheric pressure (for vacuum), or to support your structure and loads; from wall thickness you calculate mass.

jtbell said:
Welcome to Physics Forums!

A fellow named Zeppelin carried out your idea beginning about a hundred years ago, using a lighter-than-air gas: hydrogen, which ended up having disastrous consequences. Helium is safer but scarcer and much more expensive. A company in Germany is developing a semi-rigid airship which apparently does not try to cancel the weight of the frame completely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_NT

I expect using a vacuum would be impractical because of the stresses that the external air pressure would produce on the frame.
I knew about Zepplins design my idea is to use a lighter than air frame work to build a semi rigid envelope to house a lighter than air gas, the idea would be to increase the amount of cargo mass- envelope size

Rooler said:
I knew about Zepplins design my idea is to use a lighter than air frame work to build a semi rigid envelope to house a lighter than air gas, the idea would be to increase the amount of cargo mass- envelope size
My question came from an idea to set up salt water mining or salt refining plants on a coast line in an arid region of the world, concentrate the brine using electrolysis, releasing or harvesting the split O2 and filling airships with excess hydrogen "having collapsible envelopes for the return trip to allow larger amounts of cargo to be moved" to move cargoes of compressed hydrogen inland to be burned in power plants also producing clean water.

1. How does a lightweight tubular frame float?

A lightweight tubular frame floats because it is made of materials with a lower density than water, such as aluminum or carbon fiber. This allows it to displace a greater amount of water, making it less dense and causing it to float.

2. Is a lightweight tubular frame more buoyant than other types of frames?

Generally, a lightweight tubular frame is more buoyant than solid frames made of the same material. This is because the tubular design allows for more air pockets, increasing its overall buoyancy.

3. Can a lightweight tubular frame support the weight of a person?

Yes, a lightweight tubular frame can support the weight of a person. However, the amount of weight it can support will depend on the specific design and materials used in its construction.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a lightweight tubular frame?

One potential disadvantage of a lightweight tubular frame is that it may not be as strong or durable as a solid frame. This could make it more susceptible to damage or bending.

5. How is the buoyancy of a lightweight tubular frame affected by water conditions?

The buoyancy of a lightweight tubular frame will be affected by the density of the water it is in. For example, if the water is denser (such as in saltwater), the frame may not float as well compared to being in freshwater.