Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lighting effect

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    I took this photo in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. I hope it can be seen but the reflection of this silver thing is different colours in the different panes of glass. (Blue behind it, orange/red to the sides). What causes this effect? And why the particular colours?

http://a.imagehost.org/0777/light_effect.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2
    is it a possibility that there's different colored light sources from each side? and the yellowish light on top of it which gives the object itself golden look?
    dont laugh me out.

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3
    I'm fairly sure there aren't any different colour lights. As far as I can remember, there were white lights mounted on the ceiling.

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4
    Were the glass panes coated with anti-reflex layers?
    It looks like selective reflections from thin layers. The normal reflection (front) selects shorter wavelength (blue) and the sides select longer wavelengths (at a larger angle).

6. Sep 8, 2009 #5
    I don't know. Seems likely if that anti-reflex stuff causes those kind of effects. Follow up question: Does anyone know how anti-reflex layers work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook