Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lightning Rod

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    I want to know when the lightning rod in the under ground about 200 years, what happens it..? specially want to mention it has been hit by more and more lightnings... so is it contained some energy source...? and there are no any plants that grown up.... and even there are no any insects close in lightning rod... so... why is it happened..? advance in thank.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2
    so lighting is very strong so it can hit anything:oops:

4. Oct 21, 2016 #3
    it's k... no problem... but I mean... it has been happening for 200 years. so... can it ( lightning rod in the under ground) be contained some energy source...? that is the thing I want to know... !!!

5. Oct 21, 2016 #4
    Any highly conductive material, ordinary metals like iron can serve as a lightning conductor.
    If lightning hits the above ground part, the electrical energy of the lightning is conducted through it 'to Earth'
    The energy (in the form of electron flow) is only briefly present within the rod, it then very rapidly dissipates into the ground.

6. Oct 21, 2016 #5

tech99

Gold Member

If it is copper, that is toxic to life.

7. Oct 21, 2016 #6
    Thank you....

8. Oct 22, 2016 #7
    Thank you for giving this answer. I just want to know one thing, when I go it ( l-rod) closely my hair stands up.... why is it happened?

9. Oct 22, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.presumably you mean during a storm ?
    if so, not a wise thing to do

there should be no electrostatic charge on the rod at any other time that would cause your observation

10. Oct 22, 2016 #9
    Thank you... May be you are correct. But the man whom I know has a l-rod which has electrostatic charge.. so.. Can you believe it? what is that? why is it happened? Is there a any worth of it? In my first question I mentioned it is old more 200 years...

11. Oct 22, 2016 #10
    It's entirely possible that you are the one with the charge. Do you wear wool clothing and rubber soled shoes? You could be picking up charge just from walking around. When you approach the rod the charges on your body will try to escape you and go to ground. The l-rod is innocent. This is all perfectly harmless.

Static electricity does not involve much energy. There's nothing worth harnessing if that's what you are asking.

12. Oct 22, 2016 #11

tech99

Gold Member

For those who, like me, are fascinated by lightning, there is a very readable account of Benjamin Franklin's experiments with lightning conductors at the URL given below, including some interesting photographs. His designs are close to today's standards.
    http://www.meteohistory.org/2004proceedings1.1/pdfs/01krider.pdf

13. Oct 22, 2016 #12
    Great.... thank you explaining for me....

14. Oct 22, 2016 #13
    Thank you supporting me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted