1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightning strikes tree. Energy is absorbed by tree. Sap evaporates. How much sap?

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A certain storm cloud has a potential of 1.50 x 10^8 V relative to a tree. If, during a lightning storm, 50.0 C of charge is transferred through this potential difference and 1.00% of the energy is absorbed by the tree, how much sap in the tree can be boiled away? Model the sap as water initially at 26.0°C. Water has a specific heat of 4186 J/(kg·C°), a boiling point of 100°C, and a latent heat of vaporization of 2.26 x 10^6 J/kg.

2. Relevant equations

I'm actually kinda iffy on all the equations, but I got several answers that WebAssign told me was wrong...

3. The attempt at a solution

Energy gain of 50.0 C of charge accelerated through potential difference of (1.50 x 10^8 V) is (50.0 C)(1.50 x 10^8 V) = 7.5 x 10^9 J.

To vaporize 1 kilogram of sap requires mcΔT = (1 kg)(4186 J/kg K)(100 - 26 degrees C) = 3.098 x 10^(5) J to heat to 100 degrees C

An additional 2.26 x 10^6 J for the state change from liquid to gas, for a total required energy of 3.098 x 10^(5) + 2.26 x 10^6 = 2.57 x 10^6 J.

The total energy absorbed is 1% of 7.5 x 10^9 = 7.5 x 10^7 J, and at 2.57 x 10^6 J per kg needed, we are able to vaporize:

(7.5 x 10^7 J)/(2.57 x 10^6 J/kg) = 29.19 kg of sap.

WebAssign says it's wrong.

Please tell me where I went wrong.
    It isn't due for a few days, I just wanted to get this assignment out of the way... Last question.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Lightning strikes tree. Energy is absorbed by tree. Sap evaporates. How much s

WebAssign is evil. I see nothing wrong with your solution - your method is OK and I verified your numbers. It may be a matter of sig figs or (perish the thought) the wrong calculated formula has been put into the problem. I suggest that you take your solution to your instructor and ask him/her to find what is wrong with it. Do this before the deadline.

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3
    Re: Lightning strikes tree. Energy is absorbed by tree. Sap evaporates. How much s

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was under the impression that the energy absorbed by the tree will be equal to 1/2QV, and not QV. I'd be curious to hear what others have to say about this.

Thanks,

Tom

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4

That would be true if you had a capacitor with 50C on it that you let completely discharge.
    The question doesn't say that the stormcloud completely discharges however.

6. Apr 14, 2010 #5

I see what you're saying. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook