1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightning strikes your car

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    If lightning strikes your car, would it kill you? I understand that you are in a Faraday cage so you are protected from being electrocuted, but would the sheer heat cook you?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2
    A car is only a partial faraday cage. You can still be electrocuted but it's a lot less likely than if you're outside the car.

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3

cjl

A lightning bolt wouldn't actually raise the temperature inside the car very much - most of the energy would simply pass around the car.

5. Jun 25, 2011 #4
  6. Jun 25, 2011 #5

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

i was in a 1969 Plymouth Fury towing our drag car to the drag strip and the car was hit by lightning. The radio antenna caught the charge. the antenna was blown to the pavement and richochetted back up and put a nice hole in the aluminum fender of the 1963 Plymouth drag car we were towing...maybe thats why i and so messed up???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook