1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light's magnetic fields

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is just a conceptual question that I've been personally wondering about. So light has a magnetic field wave perpendicular to an electric field wave. I don't quite understand the magnetic field wave though.

I thought that magnetic fields were not supposed to have a beginning or end. They continuously travel in a loop from north pole to south pole. How then does light's magnetic fields work? Where are the north and south poles and where are the loops? How is it that the diagrams just depict linear magnetic field vectors?

Diagram example: http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...=195&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:164

I have googled this to a great extent but have not been able to find an answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply ehild.

I know that the light wave is self propagating with its changes in electric flux and magnetic flux.

My question, however, is that in an EM wave are the magnetic field lines also something like concentric circles like that of around a current carrying wire? Or are they really just straight lines pointing in one direction?

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The are like concentric circles around the changing electric field lines, which are circles around the magnetic field lines.

ehild

Attached Files:

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5
    They are not rings but more like flattened ellipses.

7. Jun 19, 2012 #6
    horizontally is time, so these aren't loops in space like magnetic field line loops.

8. Jun 19, 2012 #7
    horizontally is time, so these aren't loops in space like magnetic field line loops.

9. Jun 19, 2012 #8
    BTW i only did the one post, are multiple repeat postings a common bug on PF?

(as you can see the system knows they are both my third post, but has them logged at different times!)

10. Jun 22, 2012 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it happens sometimes! :smile:

i think it's when you click "Submit Reply" but nothing happens, so you click again :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook