Why Do Some Sections of My Pre-Lit Christmas Tree Not Light Up?

• Electrical
  • Thread starter Office_Shredder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights Tree
In summary, the conversation discusses troubleshooting a Christmas tree with pre-lit lights that have stopped working on certain branches. The tree uses green plastic connector/splitter things, which may be causing the issue. The person is unsure if they can disassemble the connectors to fix the problem without causing further damage. They also mention using a DVM to check for AC voltage and trying to determine the cause of the string light failure. They mention that the bulbs have two wires, one that glows and can burn out, and one that just shorts the circuit. There is also a mention of a fuse and an anti-fuse.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have a very expensive Christmas tree with two dead branches that drive my wife crazy. Help save my christmas!
I have a Christmas tree that's pre-lit. The basic setup is each section of the tree has power, and a strand of wire that comes out and wraps around the tree. That strand passes through a bunch of green plastic connector things, which appear to be a splitter of some sort - the strand goes in and then out of one end, and on the other end another wire comes out that powers all the bulbs for the branch. The splitters have a little green tab that looks like you are supposed to push it, and then something happens though I have no idea what.

I attached a couple pictures that hopefully illuminate the situation.

So I have two branches out of like, 100 that are dead. My theory is that the connector/splitter things are junky- either it shorted, or disconnected internally, or something. I'm worried about breaking the other 98 branches worth of lights doing anything though. So I guess my question is, can I actually disassemble this green splitter and try to rewire this in a way that isn't a horrible idea? In particular is the little tab actually intended to be a way of assembling/ disassembling, or am I just going to break it trying to push the tab and pull the wires?

Attachments

• 20221114_195025.jpg
    20221114_195025.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20221114_194812.jpg
    20221114_194812.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 108
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what I'm looking at in those pics.

[ EDIT ]
OK, I see .

1668476148308.png

These Christmas string light problems can be frustrating, as you now know.

I would try these two things in order at first:

** [redacted, dumb non-applicable idea]

** use my DVM in AC voltage sense mode to figure out if the bulbs should be getting AC voltage or not. If you don't know how to do that, just ask and we can guide you.

I think berk is wise. I'd look a the standard causes for string light failure before opening up closed components.

Note: these bulbs have two wires inside, one that glows (and it can burn out) and one (in parallel) that just shorts the circuit. So even if the bulb doesn't light up doesn't mean that's where the circuit is broken (although the working ones definitely don't break the circuit).

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Borek said:
one that glows (and it can burn out)
Fuse. The normal voltage across the un-fused bulb is only a few volts.

Borek said:
and one (in parallel) that just shorts the circuit
Anti-fuse. This one is coated with an insulating material that breaks down and shorts once the voltage reaches a suitably high voltage. It is only electrically connected to the circuit once that happens.

BoB

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Borek and Tom.G

What causes the lights on a pre-lit tree to go out?

There are a few potential causes for the lights on a pre-lit tree to go out. It could be a problem with the power source, such as a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. It could also be an issue with the wiring or bulbs on the tree itself.

How can I fix the lights on a pre-lit tree that have gone out?

The first step is to check the power source and make sure it is working properly. If that is not the issue, then you may need to replace the bulbs or fix any damaged wiring on the tree. If the problem persists, it may be best to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Can I replace individual bulbs on a pre-lit tree?

Yes, most pre-lit trees allow for individual bulb replacement. However, it is important to use the correct type and wattage of bulbs to avoid any further issues. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions for specific guidance on bulb replacement for your tree.

Is it safe to leave a pre-lit tree on overnight?

It is generally safe to leave a pre-lit tree on overnight, but it is recommended to turn it off when not in use to prevent any potential fire hazards. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper usage and safety precautions.

How long do the lights on a pre-lit tree typically last?

The lifespan of the lights on a pre-lit tree can vary depending on the quality of the tree and how often it is used. On average, the lights can last anywhere from 3-5 years before needing to be replaced. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prolong the lifespan of the lights.