Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lights wired in series

1. May 24, 2005 #1
    :surprised I need some help with a formula, I am constructing some aids for a class room demonstration on basic electricity. I am using lights to demonstrate series and parallel cicuits, also trying to explain some of the basic laws. My question, If I hook three 25 watt bulbs in series with a supply voltage of 123 VAC the displayed wattage (under power) is about 12 watts (I am using a meter). I would like to explain using an appropriate formula but I don't know how.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where do you measure that Wattage...(in which point of the circuit)?VAC is that continuous or alternative current...?

4. May 31, 2005 #3
    I am using a watt meter that allows me to select either Volts, Amps, Watts, or KWHR. It is AC.
  5. May 31, 2005 #4
    Hes asking between which nodes did you connect the multimeter
  6. May 31, 2005 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the resistance did not change with temperature (But, it does.) due to the current through it, then the resistance of the three bulbs in series would be 3 times the resistance of one bulb. The power (given by P=V^2/R) would be
    25/3=8 Watts. You read 12 Watts (>8), because there is 1/3 the current through each bulb. They stay cool and have a smaller resistance than a hot bulb.
  7. May 31, 2005 #6
    The bulbs are in series, they all take the same current.

[tex] P_{res} = IV = \frac{V^2}{R} = I^2R[/tex]
  8. Jun 1, 2005 #7
    Thank you, that is very clear
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?