Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightspeed and 0 mass

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    So, an object can move with c if and only if it has 0 mass.So howcome that light is bended by gravity? How can smth with 0 mass be bend by gravity?

Ty

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2
    Well,I think when the 0 mass moves,it's mass is no longer 0 according to the formula E=m*c^2

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Because gravity couples to energy (and momentum, and stress), not mass. A photon has zero mass but nonzero energy.

5. Mar 20, 2012 #4
    ty for your answers .I haven't studied relativity in school yet but from what i know gravity is mass times gravitational acc.,but.if u apply that here m is zero so G is zero

Are the formulas from classic mechanics applicable in any relativistic situation?

6. Mar 20, 2012 #5
    The bending of light around objects with mass, gravitational lensing, occurs because the spacetime around a massive object (such as the sun, a galaxy, etc.), is curved, and distorts the path of the light travelling near that object.

See this image for an example:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2010/07/see_a_quasar_gravitationally_l/gravitational-lens-01.jpeg [Broken]

As Bill K said, it is the momentum of the photons that determines how dramatically they are curved away from their original path.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Mar 20, 2012 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

8. Mar 20, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Only as approximations in the "v much less than c" case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook