Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LIGO and speed of gravitational waves

1. Jun 29, 2004 #1
    LIGO may have failed to detect gravity waves because they move faster than light and so have a greater wavelength than expected and probably a lower amplitude too.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2004 #2
    Gravity waves and the speed of light.

Gravitatioonal waves travel at not in excess of the speed of light. They know that gravitational waves traveling at the speed of light shows a unity of gravity and electromagnetism at a deeper level (high energies).

4. Jun 30, 2004 #3
    How do they know this?What is the evidence?

5. Jun 30, 2004 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

I'm fairly certain that the reason LIGO has not yet detected gravity waves (definitively), is because it is still in the process of taking its measurements. The results will not be known for sometime yet.

6. Jun 30, 2004 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Give LIGO more time. It's just getting underway at trying to find something incredibly difficult to detect.

7. Jun 30, 2004 #6
    And a way in which to process this information?

They have no way of knowing computationally how to describe the actions of the flexing in terms of Geometrical explanations?

8. Jun 30, 2004 #7

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

"the actions of the flexing in terms of Geometrical explanations"???

They sure have a lot of expertise and resources for computation in GR. GR may not be the ultimate theory of spacetime, but it sure has been bang on in many predictions.

9. Jul 1, 2004 #8
    Yes I agree with you. If there was a method in place for describing quantum Gravity, you can be assured the first part of my statement would have been relevant to the second part you choose. Looking at the various experiments being used how could I not Support GR even though we have not validated gravitational waves.

Would you agree with this?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  10. Mar 13, 2011 #9
    Well I'm not a physicist, but as an amateur I would have a question.
    Isnt the correct way to prove something, that we examine assumption A and assumption B, which validates the measurements better?
    I think if we wants to validate assumption A /gravity waves can only propagate with a speed of c/ anyway, we can make same error during the process.

(Like Hafele–Keating experiment, i dont doubt that predictions of GR has been proven many times, but i dont think, that an experiment, where they correct the clocks multiple times till they get what they want... isnt a solid proof to me.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?