LIGO and speed of gravitational waves

In summary: I think if we wants to validate assumption A /gravity waves can only propagate with a speed of c/ anyway, we can make same error during the process.
kurious
LIGO may have failed to detect gravity waves because they move faster than light and so have a greater wavelength than expected and probably a lower amplitude too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity waves and the speed of light.

Gravitatioonal waves travel at not in excess of the speed of light. They know that gravitational waves traveling at the speed of light shows a unity of gravity and electromagnetism at a deeper level (high energies).

How do they know this?What is the evidence?

I'm fairly certain that the reason LIGO has not yet detected gravity waves (definitively), is because it is still in the process of taking its measurements. The results will not be known for sometime yet.

Give LIGO more time. It's just getting underway at trying to find something incredibly difficult to detect.

And a way in which to process this information?

They have no way of knowing computationally how to describe the actions of the flexing in terms of Geometrical explanations?

"the actions of the flexing in terms of Geometrical explanations"?

They sure have a lot of expertise and resources for computation in GR. GR may not be the ultimate theory of spacetime, but it sure has been bang on in many predictions.

ahrkron said:
"the actions of the flexing in terms of Geometrical explanations"?

They sure have a lot of expertise and resources for computation in GR. GR may not be the ultimate theory of spacetime, but it sure has been bang on in many predictions.

Sol said:They have no way of knowing computationally how to describe

Yes I agree with you. If there was a method in place for describing quantum Gravity, you can be assured the first part of my statement would have been relevant to the second part you choose. Looking at the various experiments being used how could I not Support GR even though we have not validated gravitational waves.

Would you agree with this?

Last edited:
Well I'm not a physicist, but as an amateur I would have a question.
Isnt the correct way to prove something, that we examine assumption A and assumption B, which validates the measurements better?
I think if we wants to validate assumption A /gravity waves can only propagate with a speed of c/ anyway, we can make same error during the process.

(Like Hafele–Keating experiment, i don't doubt that predictions of GR has been proven many times, but i don't think, that an experiment, where they correct the clocks multiple times till they get what they want... isn't a solid proof to me.)

1. What is LIGO and how does it work?

LIGO stands for Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory. It is a scientific experiment designed to detect gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by massive objects moving in space. LIGO works by using two detectors, each consisting of two long, L-shaped arms with laser beams passing through them. When a gravitational wave passes through the detectors, it causes a minuscule stretching and squeezing of the arms, which is detected by the interference pattern of the laser beams.

2. How fast do gravitational waves travel?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravitational waves travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that they travel at the fastest possible speed in the universe.

3. Why is it important to study the speed of gravitational waves?

Studying the speed of gravitational waves can provide valuable insights into the nature of gravity and the structure of space-time. It can also help to confirm the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity and potentially uncover new physics beyond our current understanding.

4. How is the speed of gravitational waves measured?

The speed of gravitational waves is measured using precise time measurements between the two LIGO detectors. If a gravitational wave is detected, the time it takes for the wave to reach one detector will be slightly different than the time it takes to reach the other detector. By comparing these time differences, scientists can calculate the speed of the gravitational wave.

5. Has the speed of gravitational waves been proven to be the same as the speed of light?

Yes, the speed of gravitational waves has been measured to be equal to the speed of light. This was confirmed in 2017 when the LIGO detectors detected a gravitational wave from the collision of two neutron stars. The time delay between the two detectors was consistent with the speed of light, providing strong evidence for the accuracy of Einstein's theory of general relativity.