Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Like a girl at work

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1

Physics_UG

Gold Member

So the HR girl at my work came by to tell me my phone was ready and told me to go pick it up from the IT department. We walked together to pick the phone up. It was about a 10 minute walk I really like her and I think she likes me as she was acting all giddy like girls do when they like you. Well, she works a level below me and right under me. The building is huge but our desks are close together. I just don't think I will cross paths with her again. She left me her email, desk phone number and cell phone number and told me to call if I had any problems. Should I call her on her cell phone and ask her out? Or is that not appropriate since we work in the same building? It's a huge building though but I am afraid if she declines and I run into her again it will be awkward.

What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What is your company's policy on dating other employees?

4. Jul 27, 2012 #3

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Don't know.

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4

Evo

Find out. My daughter's company forbids it.

If your company doesn't have rules against it, ask her out.

6. Jul 27, 2012 #5

Physics_UG

Gold Member

But it's soooo awkward asking girls out. I have never been afraid of rejection as most guys are. I just think it's awkward.

7. Jul 27, 2012 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Just BE NICE! You don't have to come on to her, just be nice.

8. Jul 27, 2012 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Fake a problem with your phone to go see her (how do I change the password?) Chat her up. If she's still smiling, ask her if she wants to grab a coffee. "It's not a date, it's just coffee."

But yeah, check your company policy.

9. Jul 27, 2012 #8

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to make the case that, barring policy against it, you should test this out. Along with the more common scenarios of meeting via common activities and school, I have a few personal experiences of dating coworkers - most importantly my wife of decades now. Over the years in business, I have also seen a good number of work romances, some leading to marriage. Along the way, I have experienced sticky situations from those that didn't work, and observed it in others. My take is that the horror stories get excessive play. None of the breakups I observed or experienced over these many years led to any catastrophe, nor more than a few months discomfort. I don't believe anyone felt the need to change jobs precipitously. A lot depends on people acting like adults. I even had the experience of later working for a woman who had broken up with me several months earlier [at the same company; then a re-org occurred]. Hard as it may be to believe, we had a brief discussion of whether we thought this was workable or would have to tell higher ups of the situation. We decided the opportunity was mutually beneficial, were willing to give it a go, and within a few months, everything felt pretty normal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. Jul 27, 2012 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I note, BTW that you say you think you would likely not cross paths with her again.

I'd say that mitigates the lion's share of common concerns about office romances, namely the awkwardness of having to work with someone that you have ceased to get along with.

11. Jul 28, 2012 #10

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Well, she's not the right person to talk to for phone support anyways. I saw her going down the escalator from afar on Friday. Maybe I will run into her again since her desk if right below mine.

12. Jul 28, 2012 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is your company's policy on drilling a hole in your office floor, so that you can see her once again?

13. Jul 28, 2012 #12

Physics_UG

Gold Member

actually she is two floors below me. I could just hang around at her door in her cubicle area and wait for her.

14. Jul 28, 2012 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Stalking her. Only a smidge less creepy than spying on her from above. A smidge. :tongue:

15. Jul 29, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Just BE NICE! This isn't rocket surgery. Nice guys might finish last, but they finish. People who are polite and respectful get extra looks and consideration from the opposite sex.

16. Jul 29, 2012 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Spying from above is much less creepy than spying from below, so I don't see your point.

17. Jul 29, 2012 #16

Astronuc

It's interesting that she gave one her cell phone number - personal I presume - when all that one needed was her email and desk phone.

One should determine the company's policy on dating of coworkers. Some forbid it, some discourage it, others have certain restrictions. Since she's in HR, one could ask her about the policy.

If permissible, then one could ask her to lunch. Just keep it friendly - since one doesn't know the other.

One could perhaps find a reason to visit HR again.

18. Jul 29, 2012 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:confused: spying from below?

19. Jul 29, 2012 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are such an innocent..that's very charming in you. :smile:

20. Jul 29, 2012 #19

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Everyone at this company includes their cell phone number in their contact info. She just told me to see her signature for contact info. I don't think she meant anything by it.

21. Jul 29, 2012 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Seriously. I don't know what that means in this context.

(If I had to guess I'd say - it involves shoes and mirrors? And that is was a facetious, rather than serious remark?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook