Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Like button

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Why not introduce a 'like' button just in PF lounge ? it will be good ,people can click 'like ' on posts which are funny or very good.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Firstly thanks for the suggestion. It's nice to see positive feedback and input from members regardless of if the suggestion is adopted or not :smile:

We've had this discussion before and the general consensus was no https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=560842&highlight=facebook

Reasons being that "liking" a post is a subjective statement and goes nowhere to ascertaining the validity of said statement. I know you mention restricting it to the lounge (I can't imagine what P&WA would be like with this) but frequently the lounge is used for heated discussions with statements that should be judged on their factual accuracy. An example could be the recent father-shooting-laptop-thread. I don't think the quality of that thread or PF as a whole would be improved by members being able to accumulate popularity points on their posts. Above all I think new suggestions should only be adopted to PF if they improve its quality and I don't think this will.

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook