Can Like Poles Attract? - A Physics Question

• Thread starter jwxie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poles
In summary, according to the Law of Magnetism, like poles in physics cannot attract each other. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic field lines which causes them to repel. Even under certain conditions, such as rotating or flipping one of the magnets, like poles will not attract. This is a fundamental principle in physics that cannot be violated.
jwxie
Not meant to be a homework question, but since I don't have any valid data on hands so I am hesitate posting this in classical physics forum.

The headline suggests the opposite of what we physics tell us.

But my question is, is it theoretically possible to make like poles attract (assuming no physically constraints applied, i.e. wrapping them together by string, or tapes)?

Thanks for any input! I am just simply curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be only one polarity of gravitational charge, so all "poles" are alike and all attract. :smile:

1. Can like poles attract in physics?

No, according to the Law of Magnetism, like poles repel each other. This means that two north poles or two south poles will push away from each other.

2. Why do like poles repel each other?

This is due to the alignment of the magnetic field lines. Like poles have their magnetic field lines pointing in the same direction, causing them to push away from each other.

3. Can two magnets with the same polarity stick together?

No, because the repelling force between the like poles is stronger than the attractive force between the opposite poles. This means that the like poles will push away from each other instead of sticking together.

4. Can magnets with the same polarity be attracted to each other under certain conditions?

Yes, if one of the magnets is rotated or flipped so that the opposite poles are facing each other, they can be attracted to each other. However, this is not due to the like poles attracting, but rather the opposite poles attracting.

5. Is there any situation where like poles can attract in physics?

No, the Law of Magnetism states that like poles will always repel each other. This is a fundamental principle in physics and cannot be violated.