Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β

• MHB
  • Thread starter jmorgan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Likelihood
In summary, to find the maximum likelihood estimator of $\beta$ when $\alpha$ is known, you must first take the log of the likelihood function, take the derivative with respect to $\beta$, set it equal to $0$, and solve for $\beta$.
jmorgan
Assuming α is known, find the maximum likelihood estimator of β

f(x;α,β) = , 1 ,,,,,,, .(xα.e-x/β)
,,,,,, ,,,,,,α!βα+1

I know that firstly you must take the likelihood of L(β). But unsure if I have done it correctly. I came out with the answer below, please can someone tell me where/if I have gone wrong.

L(β)= (α!βα+1)-n.Σxiα.eΣxi/βn

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question. The "maximum Likelihood" estimator for a parameter is the value of the parameter that makes a given outcome most likely. But you have not given an "outcome" here.

I think that you're going in the right direction. However, your calculation is not entirely correct. Suppose that we have given observations $x_1,\ldots,x_n$ from the given distribution. The likelihood is then given by
$$\mathcal{L}(x_1,\ldots,x_n,\alpha,\beta) = \prod_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{\alpha ! \beta^{\alpha+1}} x_i^{\alpha}e^{-x_i/\beta}.$$
We wish to find the value of $\beta$ that maximizes the likelihood. Since it is quite common to work with the logarithm, let us first take the log of both sides:
$$\log \mathcal{L}(x_1,\ldots,x_n,\alpha,\beta) = -n \log(\alpha) - n (\alpha+1) \log(\beta)+ \alpha \sum_{i=1}^{n} \log(x_i) - \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i}{\beta}.$$
Taking the derivative w.r.t $\beta$, we obtain
$$\frac{\partial \log \mathcal{L}(x_1,\ldots,x_n,\alpha,\beta)}{d\beta} = -n(\alpha+1)\frac{1}{\beta} - \frac{1}{\beta^2} \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_i.$$
To proceed, set the RHS equal to $0$ and solve for $\beta$. This is the required MLE.

What is the Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β?

The Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β is a statistical method used to estimate the value of a parameter β in a probability distribution, based on a set of data. It aims to find the value of β that makes the observed data most likely to occur.

How is the Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β calculated?

The Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β is calculated by finding the value of β that maximizes the likelihood function, which is a function that measures the likelihood of observing the given data for different values of β. This value of β can be found using different methods, such as numerical optimization or algebraic equations.

What is the purpose of using the Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β?

The purpose of using the Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β is to estimate the value of a parameter in a probability distribution with a high degree of accuracy. This method is widely used in various fields such as economics, biology, and engineering to make predictions and draw conclusions from data.

What are the assumptions made when using the Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β?

The Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β assumes that the data follows a specific probability distribution, and that the data points are independent and identically distributed. It also assumes that the parameters of the distribution are constant and that the data is unbiased. Violating these assumptions can result in inaccurate estimates.

Are there any limitations to using the Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Maximizing Likelihood Estimator of β. It assumes that the data follows a specific probability distribution, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It can also be sensitive to outliers and can produce biased estimates if the sample size is small. Additionally, it may not work well with complex models that have multiple parameters to estimate.