Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Likes and dislikes

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    hi guys, has there been a thread on here that talks about the pros and cons of being a nuclear engineer? if so im sorry for this post it would be useless, but if not could u guys tell me what u like about being a nuclear engineer, what u dislike, and whats generally good and bad about the trade? thanks a bunch.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Likes: The technical work. I love my job, the work and the people with whom I work.

Dislikes: Administrative work and being nickeled and dimed on R&D projects.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    Pros:
    * interesting work,
    * good salary,
    * nuclear engineering education suprisingly trains you well for many other engineering.

Cons:
    * too much paperwork,
    * limits where you can live (next to nuke plants or national lab).

5. Aug 5, 2009 #4
    or pittsburgh or columbia or wilmington or charlotte or lynchburg or windsor or san jose or framingham or newington or chattanooga or white flint or frederick or san francisco or stoughton or san diego or chicago or ...

or any town with a medium to large university...

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

or Paris, Lyon, Marcoule, Grenoble, Würenlingen, Erlangen, or Lingen, and a host of other very cool places.

Under dislikes, I'd add too many conferences, and sometimes too many redundant papers/information.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook