1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lim convergent sequence

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Proove rigorously that if (a[tex]_{n}[/tex] is a real convergent sequence with lim[tex]_{n\rightarrow \infty}[/tex] a[tex]_{n}[/tex] = a and for each n=[tex]\in[/tex] N, a[tex]_{n}[/tex] < 6, then a [tex]\leq[/tex] 6
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0 we need to find n[tex]_{0}[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] N such that

[tex]\left\|[/tex] a[tex]_{n}[/tex] - a[tex]\left\|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] [tex]\forall[/tex] n [tex]\geq[/tex] n [tex]_{0}[/tex], n[tex]_{0}[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] N

but a[tex]_{n}[/tex] < 6
    so

[tex]\left\|[/tex] 6 - a[tex]\left\|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

then

a < 6 - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0

so a [tex]\leq[/tex] 6

i think i've done this right, just by using the definition of a limit. Could anyone tell me if this is looking ok?

(Also i cant seem to get the sub script working, it always makes them go up instead of down, any ideas anyone?)

Thanks a million

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

No, you're off track. You know that the sequence converges, so no matter what [tex] \epsilon [/tex] is given you can make

[tex]
    |a_n - a| < \epsilon
    [/tex]

if n is large enough.
    But this:

doesn't follow.

Try assuming [tex] a > 6 [/tex] and see if you can reach some contradiction. (Hint: if [tex] a > 6 [/tex] then [tex] a - 6 > 0 [/tex].)

4. Dec 8, 2009 #3
    thanks for getting back to me.

ok let me see if i have this right now.

first since the sequence is convergent [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0. then set a > 6 so

Since the sequence is convergent a[tex]_{}n[/tex] - a < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] or a < a[tex]_{}n[/tex] - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] but if a > 6 then 6 - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > a > 6 which cant be true so a muxt be < or = 6

5. Dec 8, 2009 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

Not quite . My point was that since [tex] a - 6 >0 [/tex] it would be a possibility for choice as [tex] \epsilon [/tex]

6. Dec 8, 2009 #5
    thanks for all the help,

do you mean a - 6 > 0 and an -a < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] then an - a < a - 6 ?

7. Dec 8, 2009 #6
    I must be still lookin at this wrong, cant seem to figure it out

8. Dec 8, 2009 #7
    Think of it intuitively first.

If [tex] a_n < 6 [/tex] for all n, and you want to prove that [tex] a \le 6 [/tex], then assume the opposite. Assume that [tex] a > 6 [/tex]. But since [tex] a_n \rightarrow a [/tex] then that means we can make [tex] a_n [/tex] as close to a as we want, provided that n is taken large enough, right?

Do you see how if a > 6 then there is no way we can possibly make [tex] a_n [/tex] as close to a as we want, no matter how large n is? Because for all n, [tex] a_n < 6 [/tex] ?

Make this into a rigorous argument now.

9. Dec 8, 2009 #8
    thanks a mill for replying

I can see that if an < 6 and a > 6 but an [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] a so they cant converge as they are both on opposite sides of 6 so to speak, but im just not sure how to go about prooving this rigourously

10. Dec 8, 2009 #9
    Assume a > 6. Since [tex] a_n < 6 < a [/tex] for all n, we have [tex] a - a_n > 0 [/tex]. So [tex] |a_n - a| = a - a_n [/tex].

Now, we know that for every positive [tex] \epsilon [/tex] , [tex] a - a_n < \epsilon [/tex] provided that n is large enough. If a > 6 then a - 6 > 0, and so we can take [tex] \epsilon = a - 6 [/tex]. Try that out and see what happens.

11. Dec 8, 2009 #10
    the first part of this is grand. the second part, im not following are you getting it from the def of a limit [tex]\left|[/tex]an-a [tex]\left|[/tex] < [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

12. Dec 8, 2009 #11
    In the part you quoted, I'm just making it clear that |a_n - a| = a - a_n.

I'd rather get rid of the absolute value bars.

The rest of my post uses the definition of a limit.

13. Dec 8, 2009 #12
    sorryi'm not getting this, is this just because a>6>a_n

14. Dec 8, 2009 #13
    Yes. You know that |a_n - a| = |a - a_n|, right? but a - a_n > 0 anyway since a > a_n, so we can just drop the absolute value bars and write a - a_n

15. Dec 8, 2009 #14
    Damn this just isnt working for me- [tex]\epsilon = a- 6[/tex] but [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] so a-6> 0 or a>6 which is what i'm trying to disprove!

16. Dec 8, 2009 #15
    a-an < [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and a - 6 = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

then a-an < a - 6

which works out to an < 6 which is true???

17. Dec 8, 2009 #16

statdad

Homework Helper

[tex]
    a - a_n < a - 6
    [/tex]

leads to

[tex]
    a_n < 6
    [/tex]?

Check your signs again.

18. Dec 8, 2009 #17
    damn it, sorry bout that. thanks a million for the help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook